Property documentation error puts Karnataka Waqf Board in Congress-BJP crossfire

MB Patil, the minister in charge of the Vijayapura district, said the Waqf property comprises only 11 acres — not 1,200 acres as claimed by the BJP.

Published Oct 27, 2024 | 12:22 AMUpdated Oct 27, 2024 | 12:22 AM

Minister MB Patil launched ‘Uthpadana Manthana’ to drive ₹7.5 lakh crore in investments

The ruling Congress and Opposition BJP in Karnataka are locked in a war of words over 1,200 acres in Vijayapura’s Honavada.

Government records identified the land as Waqf property while the BJP claimed that it belonged to the farmers in Tikota taluk.

With the issue snowballing into a controversy, Congress leaders blamed an error in the original designation for the confusion. The BJP, however, accused the government of clandestinely transferring the property to the Waqf Board.

MB Patil, the minister in charge of the Vijayapura district, held a news conference on Saturday, 26 October, to address the matter. Seeking to clear the air, Patil stated that only 11 acres were Waqf property.

Also Read: ‘Union government dividing the country with Waqf Bill’

Error in notification

The minister said there was an error in the 1974 gazette notification, which the Waqf Board rectified in 1977.

The Waqf-designated property comprises 10 acres and 14 guntas of a burial ground, with an Idgah and a mosque on an additional 24 guntas. “All other land belongs to farmers, as confirmed by the local tahsildar and district commissioner,” Patil told journalists.

The minister further explained that the gazette notifications on Waqf properties in the Vijayapura district were issued in 1974, 1978, and 2016. “Waqf property exists in Mahalbagayata of Vijayapur; however, the name “Honavada” was mistakenly added in brackets after “Mahalbagayata” in the gazette,” he said.

After hearing from the farmers, Patil convened a meeting with district officials on 19 October and directed them to take corrective action and ensure accurate documentation.

“The district commissioner and tahsildar have confirmed that the confusion arose from erroneous documentation. Only properties meeting Waqf criteria will be registered as Waqf land. Farmers and private owners need not worry,” he assured.

Also Read: ‘End middlemen menace in Minorities Development Corporation’

BJP targets Minister Zameer Ahmed Khan

Despite the assurance, the controversy continued to gather steam. BJP MP Tejasvi Surya told a news conference on 25 October that Congress Minister Zameer Ahmed Khan had directed district officials to expedite Waqf claims without notifying farmers.

Surya accused the Congress of registering Waqf Board claims on thousands of acres across Karnataka, specifically targeting Khan, who has overseen Waqf property claims in multiple districts. “Thousands of acres of land have now been registered in the name of the Waqf Board, without (serving) notice to farmers,” he alleged.

In response to Patil’s statements that the confusion has been sorted, Surya cited what he described as new evidence.

“I just saw Minister Sri @MBPatilJi’s press meet where he said that not even ‘one inch’ of farmer’s land is registered as Waqf land,” he said on X.

“But here are revenue records submitted to me by the farmers which indicate the change in the Mutation Register and RTC. The records are from 19.10.2024. It also clearly mentions that the said changes have been effected as per DC’s directions. Clearly, the revenue authorities are listening to Mr. Zameer Ahmed and not Mr. Patil.

Also Read: From hate speech against Islam to cheating a Hindu and hiding in a Muslim home

District commissioner clarifies

In a statement, District Commissioner T Bhoobalan emphasised that there had been no transfer of private land to the Waqf Board in Honavada and assured farmers of their rights over the properties.

He explained that based on a gazette notification issued by the Waqf Board in 1974, a list of properties was provided for updating in revenue records. For each property, the standard process of ownership verification is followed, and notices were issued to landowners or farmers as part of this Waqf property update. Therefore, property owners and farmers need not worry, as there was no immediate change in their property rights.

Addressing the false rumour about the transfer of 1,500 acres of farmland to the Waqf Board in Honawad village of Tikota taluk, the Bhoobalan clarified that no such notice has been issued to farmers or property owners in Honavada.

“There has been no property update transferring any land to the Waqf Board over the past month,” he clarified.

(Edited by Majnu Babu).

Follow us