The ministry said India has demonstrated considerable restraint in selection of targets and method of execution.
Published May 07, 2025 | 9:01 AM ⚊ Updated May 07, 2025 | 9:05 AM
Operation Sindoor.
Synopsis: The Ministry of Defence said that the country has launched “Operation Sindoor” and hit terrorist infrastructure in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
The Ministry of Defence said on Wednesday, 7 May, that the country has launched “Operation Sindoor” and hit terrorist infrastructure in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir (PoK). The operation comes as a response to the recent terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pahalgam that killed 26 people.
In a press release, the ministry said that nine sites linked to planned terrorist attacks against India had been targeted.
“Our actions have been focused, measured and non-escalatory in nature. No Pakistani military facilities have been targeted. India has demonstrated considerable restraint in selection of targets and method of execution,” the ministry said.
Meanwhile, the BBC reported that Pakistan has denied any involvement in last month’s attack, and described the strikes as “unprovoked”, with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif saying the “heinous act of aggression will not go unpunished”.
The ministry said these steps come in the wake of the barbaric Pahalgam terrorist attack in which 25 Indians and one Nepali citizen were murdered.
“We are living up to the commitment that those responsible for this attack will be held accountable,” it said. Further details regarding Operation Sindoor are awaited.
Ahmed Sharif, a spokesperson for the Pakistani military, told the BBC that seven people, including two children, had been killed in the strikes.
According to Pakistan, three different areas were hit: Muzaffarabad and Kotli in PoK, and Bahawalpur in the Pakistani province of Punjab.
The Congress said it fully supports the nation’s response to the Pahalgam terror attack and that it is standing firmly with the armed forces.
“India’s commitment to eliminating all sources of terrorism in Pakistan and PoK has necessarily to be uncompromising and always be anchored in the supreme national interest. This is a time for unity and solidarity. Right from the night of April 22nd, the INC has been categorically stating that the Govt will have our fullest support in the nation’s response to the Pahalgam terror attack. The INC is standing firmly with our armed forces,” said Congress General Secretary Jairam Ramesh on X.
Meanwhile, Aravind Menon, son of Pahalgam victim N Ramachandran, spoke to South First following Operation Sindoor and said it brought the family some comfort.
“At this moment of grief, it brings us comfort and closure that India has struck back at terror camps based in Pakistan. We hope that this is just the first phase and that the nation continues its action against such terror camps and their backers, and make them think twice before attacking civilians and armed forces of our country,” he said.
He also thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Army officials.
“We are also happy to see that the operation is named Sindoor, which is so meaningful. We hope that the victims of the terror attack have a feeling of justice and closure,” he added.
Arathy Menon, daughter of Ramachandran, who was with him while the terrorists shot him, said: “I extend my heartfelt thanks to the PM and our courageous Army personnel. My mother was moved to tears, she said no name could be more fitting than ‘Operation Sindoor.’ It symbolises the grief of many women who lost their sindoor, including my mother.”
“I plan to speak with my Kashmiri brothers soon for more details. Today, I feel a deep sense of pride, not just as a daughter, but as an Indian. Our loss is beyond repair, but this news offers peace and comfort.”
“We were attacked on our soil, innocent lives were taken in a cowardly act. But India responded with strength and dignity, on their soil. The terrorists who carried out this brutality have been brought to justice. That’s the difference. That’s courage. That’s justice,” she said.
(Edited by Muhammed Fazil with inputs from Sreelakshmi Soman.)