Mumbai rains: 9 killed, 70 injured in illegal billboard collapse

The toll from the illegal billboard is expected to rise and the Mumbai Police have now registered a case against the owner of Ego Media

Published May 14, 2024 | 2:33 AMUpdated May 14, 2024 | 2:34 AM

Mumbai rain

At least nine persons were killed and over 70 others injured on Monday, 13 May in rain-related incidents in Mumbai wherein a 100-foot tall billboard fell on a petrol pump while an under-construction metal tower collapsed on a road amid gusty winds in Wadala, officials said.

Mumbai Police have now registered a case against the owner of Ego Media and others and according to civic officials, the billboard is illegal.

“78 people have been pulled out so far from under the hoarding, of which eight are declared dead, while 70 others were injured. They were rushed to various hospitals,” a senior police officer said, adding that the search and rescue operation is underway at the spot.

In Bandra, a branch of a tree fell on a shop, trapping two persons. “Of them, a 38-year-old died while another person was seriously injured,” a civic official said.

In Wadala, an under-construction metal parking tower collapsed on a road amid gusty winds, injuring three persons and damaging vehicles.

The unseasonal rain and dust storms led to the suspension of flight operations at Mumbai airport for an hour in the evening due to low visibility, services of local trains were delayed while traffic snarls were seen in several areas.

As many as 15 flights were diverted to different airports and the runways operation resumed at 5.03 pm, the airport operator said.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde visited the spot of the hoarding collapse incident in Ghatkopar late in the evening and ordered a structural audit of all hoardings in Mumbai city. “The hoardings, if found illegal and dangerous, would be removed immediately,” he said.

“It is a very unfortunate incident. The government will probe it, and the people responsible will face action. I have also asked the BMC commissioner to conduct a structural audit of all the hoardings in the city. Those found illegal and dangerous will be removed,” Shinde told reporters. He announced aid of Rs 5 lakh to the kin of each person killed in the hoarding collapse.

A senior civic official said an NDRF (National Disaster Response Force) team has reached the spot where the hoarding collapsed and a search and rescue operation is underway. “Machinery including cranes for lifting the hoarding and gas cutters has arrived at the spot,” the official said.

“As many as 100 people are feared trapped under the hoarding,” the official said.

Speaking to media persons after visiting the disaster control room at the civic headquarters, Mumbai Municipal Corporation commissioner Bhushan Gagrani said the hoarding was illegal as the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) had not given permission (for erecting it).

“It was an illegal hoarding. The location where the incident occurred has four hoardings set up on the railway land and one of them has collapsed. The BMC had been objecting to (setting up) hoardings for one year,” the civic chief said.

(Disclaimer: The headline, subheads, and intro of this report along with the photos may have been reworked by South First. The rest of the content is from a syndicated feed, and has been edited for style.)

Follow us