Miss England Milla Magee quits Miss World pageant being held in Telangana over “exploitative” experience

Magee claimed contestants had to wear makeup and formal wear all day and were assigned to entertain wealthy male sponsors at dinner, describing the experience as degrading and exploitative

Published May 24, 2025 | 4:22 PMUpdated May 24, 2025 | 5:48 PM

Miss England Milla Magee quits Miss World pageant over “exploitative” experience

Synopsis: Milla Magee, 24, reigning Miss England, has quit the Miss World 2025 pageant in Hyderabad, citing exploitation and moral conflict. She became the first Miss England to withdraw mid-contest in its 74-year history. Magee arrived on 7 May but left by 16 May, claiming contestants were objectified and mistreated, though organisers initially cited “personal reasons” for her exit

Milla Magee, the reigning Miss England, has withdrawn from the Miss World 2025 competition, citing moral concerns and a sense of exploitation during her time at the pageant in Hyderabad, India.

The 24-year-old lifeguard from Newquay, Cornwall, became the first Miss England to step down mid-competition in the pageant’s 74-year history. 

Magee, who arrived in Hyderabad on May 7 for a series of publicity events leading up to the final, made her exit on 16 May, which organisers initially attributed to “personal reasons.” 

However, in an exclusive interview with The Sun, she has revealed a deeper disillusionment with the event.

“I went there to make a difference,” Magee said. “But we had to sit like performing monkeys.” She described feeling like she had been “farmed out for entertainment” and likened her treatment to that of a “prostitute.”

Also Read: Miss World 2025 spotlights Telangana’s healthcare

Accusations of being paraded for male sponsors 

Magee alleged that contestants were pressured to wear full makeup and formal attire throughout the day, even during breakfast, and were made to entertain wealthy male sponsors as a form of gratitude for their financial support of the pageant.

“There were two girls assigned to each table of six guests,” she said. “We were expected to sit with them for the whole evening and entertain them. I found that unbelievable. I didn’t come here to be farmed out for people’s entertainment.”

She added that her attempts to discuss the charitable causes she was passionate about were met with disinterest. “Instead there was weird small-talk that left me feeling uncomfortable,” she said.

Magee described the pageant as “outdated” and said that some contestants were chastised by organisers for being “boring.” She also recounted an incident where a staff member clapped in her face to demand attention, a moment she said reflected the lack of respect shown to participants.

“The show is stuck in the past,” she said. “Morally, I couldn’t be a part of it.”

Her outspoken criticism adds to ongoing global conversations about the relevance and ethics of beauty pageants in the modern era. Magee, whose campaign work has reportedly received support from Prince William, had entered Miss World with the intention of advocating for social change and youth empowerment.

“I went out to help create a different future, to inspire young people,” she said. “Never in a million years did I expect to find myself in that situation.”

Miss World Organisation responds 

Julia Morley CBE, Chairman and CEO of the Miss World Organisation shared “The Miss World Organisation would like to address recent media reports circulating in the British press concerning Miss England 2025, Milla Maggie, and her withdrawal from the 72nd Miss World Festival currently being held in India.

Earlier this month, Milla Maggie requested to leave the competition due to a reported family emergency involving her mother’s health. As a mother and grandmother herself, Julia Morley CBE, Chairwoman of Miss World, responded to Milla’s situation with compassion and immediately arranged her return to England, placing the well-being of the contestant and her family first.

Following her departure, Charlotte Grant, the 1st runner-up of Miss England, graciously stepped in to represent her country. Charlotte arrived in India on Wednesday and has since been warmly welcomed into the Miss World sisterhood.

Unfortunately, it has come to our attention that certain UK media outlets have published false and defamatory statements, allegedly made by Milla Maggie, regarding her experience in India. These claims are completely unfounded and inconsistent with the reality of her time with us.

In response, the Miss World Organisation is releasing unedited videos recorded during Milla’s stay in India, in which she expresses gratitude, joy, and appreciation for the experience. These videos reflect her own words and sentiments, and serve as a direct contradiction to the recent false narratives.

Miss World remains committed to truth, dignity, and the values of Beauty With a Purpose. We urge media outlets to uphold journalistic integrity and verify their sources before publishing misleading content.”

(Edited by Ananya Rao)

Follow us