Published Jan 19, 2026 | 11:34 AM ⚊ Updated Jan 19, 2026 | 6:53 PM
TVK chief Vijay addressing the rally at Tiruchirappally on Saturday.
Synopsis: The questioning lasted for around five and a half hours, including a lunch break. According to the information, Vijay cooperated with the investigation and provided all the information sought by the agency.
The second round of questioning of Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK) president Vijay by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in connection with the investigation into the stampede in the Karur district of Tamil Nadu in September last year during his political rally, concluded on Monday, 19 January, according to the party.
The questioning lasted for around five and a half hours, including a lunch break. According to the information, Vijay cooperated with the investigation and provided all the information sought by the agency.
Addressing the media, TVK functionary, CTR Nirmal Kumar denied reports suggesting that Vijay would be arrested or named in the charge sheet, calling them false and baseless. He clarified that no further summons have been issued to Vijay at this stage.
He alleged that certain media outlets aligned with the DMK were deliberately spreading misinformation and rumours targeting Vijay and the party. Claims that Vijay will be included in the charge sheet or that he will be summoned again are completely untrue, he said.
Terming such reports as speculative and irresponsible, Nirmal Kumar said the party strongly condemns the circulation of what he described as fabricated narratives against Vijay and Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam.
Earlier questioning
On the first day, on 12 January, the questioning reportedly centred on the delays, lapses in managing the crowd and organisational responsibilities related to the Karur event.
A summons was issued to the actor-turned-politician on 6 January, asking him to appear at the CBI office.
The inquiry relates to the stampede that occurred on 27 September in Velusamipuram in Karur during a public outreach event addressed by Vijay. The incident resulted in the deaths of 41 people and left more than 100 others injured.
The CBI took over the case following a Supreme Court directive.
On 31 October last year, a 15-member CBI team led by ASP Mahesh Kumar, SP Praveen Kumar, DSP Ramakrishnan, and Inspector Manoharan carried out a field inspection at Velusamipuram, Karur — the site of the stampede.
The team used advanced 3D digital survey technology to assess road width, crowd capacity, bus stands, and nearby streets.
The case was originally registered based on a complaint filed by Karur Town Inspector Manivannan against TVK general secretary Bussy Anand, joint secretary Nirmal Kumar, western district secretary Mathiyazhagan and others.
Meanwhile, the Tamil Nadu government, on 2 December, filed its counter-affidavit before the Supreme Court to cancel the CBI investigation into the case and to hand over the probe back to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) constituted earlier by the Madras High Court.
The government also sought the lifting of the stay imposed on the inquiry being conducted by the one-man commission headed by Justice (retd.) Aruna Jagadeesan, so that the commission’s investigation into the Karur incident can be resumed.