Tourists from Karnataka and Telangana among those killed in Pahalgam terror attack in Kashmir

At least 28 people, including one from Karnataka and another from Telangana, are feared killed in a terror attack on 22 April in Baisaran Valley, Pahalgam—Jammu and Kashmir’s scenic “mini-Switzerland”—prompting swift deployment of security forces.

Published Apr 22, 2025 | 8:30 PMUpdated Apr 23, 2025 | 12:03 AM

Karnataka man among those killed in Pahalgam terror attack

Synopsis: A terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Baisaran Valley on 22 April left over 28 people feared dead, most of them tourists. Among the victims were three men from Karnataka and an Intelligence Bureau officer posted in Hyderabad. Manjunath Rao from Shivamogga, Bharat Bhushan from Karnataka, Madhusudan from Bengaluru, and IB officer Manish Ranjan were killed while on holiday with their families.

At least three people from Karnataka and an Intelligence Bureau officer posted in Hyderabad, Telangana, were among those killed in the terror attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir, on Tuesday, 22 April.

Manjunath Rao, 47, a resident of Shivamogga, was on vacation with his wife Pallavi and their 18-year-old son when militants opened fire on a crowd of nearly 2,000 tourists at the popular hill station.

The attack marks one of the deadliest targeting of civilians in India in recent times. At least 28 people, most of them tourists, are feared to have been killed.

Bharat Bhushan with wife Sujata and their son in Kashmir. (Supplied)

Bharat Bhushan, a 41-year-old diagnostic technician from Karnataka, and Madhusudan from Bengaluru are among the confirmed victims. Bhushan’s wife, Sujatha, 37, and their son survived.

Manish Ranjan, an Intelligence Bureau officer originally from Bihar and posted in Hyderabad, Telangana, was also shot dead. He was on vacation with his family.

J&K Police officials confirmed to South First that his body will reach Srinagar on Wednesday morning. They also said his wife and child are safe.

Meanwhile, three Kerala High Court judges – Justice PB Suresh Kumar, Justice Anil K Narendran, and Justice G Girish – who are on a private visit to Kashmir, have been confirmed safe, according to sources.

The attack took place in the picturesque Baisaran Valley in Anantnag district – popularly known as “mini-Switzerland” for its alpine meadows – sending shockwaves across the region.

Access to Baisaran is limited to foot or horseback, making rescue operations particularly difficult. Authorities deployed helicopters to evacuate the injured, while some of the wounded were brought down from the valley by local residents using ponies.

A doctor at the Pahalgam hospital told PTI that 12 injured tourists had been admitted and that all were currently in stable condition.

Modi vows action 

Hours after the attack, Prime Minister Narendra Modi—who is on a visit to Saudi Arabia—spoke with Union Home Minister Amit Shah, instructing him to take all necessary measures and to visit the site.

Madhusudan. (Supplied)

Condemning the attack, PM Modi took to X (formerly Twitter), writing:

“I strongly condemn the terror attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir. Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover at the earliest. All possible assistance is being provided to those affected. Those behind this heinous act will be brought to justice… they will not be spared! Their evil agenda will never succeed. Our resolve to fight terrorism is unshakable and it will get even stronger.”

President Droupadi Murmu also condemned the attack, calling it “shocking and painful.”

“Attacking innocent citizens, in this case tourists, is utterly appalling and unpardonable,” the President wrote on X. “My heartfelt condolences to the families who have lost their dear ones and my prayers for the quick recovery of the injured.”

Security operations are ongoing in the region as authorities work to track down those responsible for the brutal assault.

Also Read: Karnataka CM condemns IAF officer

Siddaramaiah convenes meeting 

Following the tragic news, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah convened an emergency meeting with senior officials, including the Chief Secretary and top police officers. 

He directed them to take immediate steps to ensure the safety of Kannadigas in Kashmir and extend all necessary support to the bereaved family.

On the Chief Minister’s instructions, a team of officials has been dispatched to Kashmir, and police officers from Karnataka have also travelled to assist on the ground. 

The state’s Resident Commissioner in Delhi has been tasked with coordinating further action and repatriation of the deceased.

Manjunath’s wife Pallavi and their son survived the attack and are currently safe. Speaking to media from Pahalgam, a distraught Pallavi recounted the horror: “My husband died in front of my eyes. I was helpless. My son and I even pleaded with the terrorists to shoot us too, but they refused.”

Pallavi, who works as a manager at the Birur branch of the Malnad Areca Marketing Cooperative Society (MAMCOS), said it had been her husband’s lifelong dream to visit Kashmir. 

“Now, I regret ever coming here,” she said, urging the Karnataka government to ensure that her husband’s body is brought home without delay.

The family had left Shivamogga on 19 April and were scheduled to return on 24 April. Shivamogga SP GK Mithun Kumar told The Hindu that he and Deputy Commissioner Gurudatta Hegade have been in constant touch with officials in Jammu and Kashmir.

 “Manjunath died on the spot. Arrangements are being made to shift the body to Srinagar and later airlift it to Karnataka,” he said.

As the state mourns the loss of a fellow Kannadiga, questions are once again being raised over tourist safety in conflict zones. The government has assured that all steps will be taken to support the affected family and prevent such tragedies in the future.

Emergency help desk for tourists

A dedicated help desk has been established at the Police Control Room Anantnag to assist tourists requiring assistance or information.

Contact Details:

9596777669

01932225870

Whatsapp: 9419051940

Emergency Control Room – Srinagar: 0194-2457543, 0194-2483651 Adil Fareed, ADC Srinagar – 7006058623 Helpline for the assistance on Pahalgam terror incident.

(Edited by Ananya Rao)

Follow us