Drowned aspirations: Kerala, Telangana students among three killed in Delhi coaching centre flooding

Nevin Dalwin (23) was from Ernakulam district in Kerala and Tania Soni (25), was from Secunderabad in Telangana.

Published Jul 28, 2024 | 3:36 PMUpdated Jul 28, 2024 | 3:51 PM

Delhi coaching centre flood.

Three civil services aspirants died on Saturday, 28 July, after the basement of a building, which was part of a coaching centre, was flooded following heavy rain in central Delhi’s Old Rajinder Nagar area.

Among the three, one person Nevin Dalwin (29) was from Ernakulam district in Kerala and one person Tania Soni (21), was from Secunderabad in Telangana. The third person is identified as Shreya Yadav (22) of Ambedkar Nagar in Uttar Pradesh.

Also Read: President appoints former Tripura DCM Jishnu Dev Varma as Telangana Governor

Family member leaves for Delhi

Nevin’s body was discovered at 1 am on Sunday. According to available information, the postmortem will be conducted on Monday.

His uncle is scheduled to depart for Delhi at 3.30 pm on Sunday. IUML Rajya Sabha MP Advocate Haris Beeran is coordinating the procedures.

His parents, from Muthangamattom near Kalady in the Ernakulam district, learned of his death while attending church prayers in Aluva on Sunday. Both were hospitalised due to health issues exacerbated by the news.

Nevin’s mother is a geography professor at Calicut University, and his father is a retired police officer. He was pursuing an M.Phil at Jawaharlal Nehru University and was also preparing for the UPSC civil service examination.

Union minister expresses condolence

Meanwhile, Union Minister G Kishan Reddy expressed his condolences on the death of Tania.

The Union Coal and Mines Minister, who represents Secunderabad Lok Sabha constituency, in a post on ‘X’ said he spoke to Tania Soni’s father Vijay Kumar and extended his support and prayers to the family.

“Saddened by the tragic demise of Ms Tania Soni, a resident of Secunderabad who lost her life in the flooding at an IAS coaching center in Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi. Personally spoke to her father, Shri Vijay Kumar, and expressed my deepest condolences,” Reddy said.

The Union Minister further said his office in Delhi is in contact with the police and other officials to ensure all necessary formalities are completed swiftly.

“In this time of immense sorrow, I extend my support and prayers to her family. Om Shanti,” Reddy, who is also Telangana state president, said.

Also Read: Kerala’s Kanichar panchayat scripts a new chapter in disaster management

Police detain owner of coaching centre

Delhi Police on Sunday detained the owner and coordinator of the coaching centre where three students died due to flooding following heavy rains, officials said.

Police have booked them under charges of culpable homicide among other charges, they said.

“We have registered an FIR at Rajinder Nagar Police Station under sections 105 (culpable homicide), 106(1) (death of any person by doing any rash or negligent act not amounting to culpable homicide), 115(2) (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 290 (negligent conduct with respect to pulling down, repairing or constructing buildings) and 35 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) and launched an investigation. So far we have detained two people — owner and coordinator of the coaching centre,” Deputy Commissioner of Police M Harsha Vardhan said.

Students held a protest and raised slogans against authorities outside the coaching centre over the deaths in the basement, which according to a preliminary probe houses a library.

Police are looking at CCTV footage to understand the sequence of events, the DCP said.

According to the Delhi Fire Department (DFS), a call about waterlogging was received from Rau’s IAS Study Circle at around 7 pm on Saturday and there was a possibility that some people were trapped.

Police said it appeared that the basement got flooded very fast due to which some people were trapped inside.

A fire department official said that a total of five tenders were rushed to the site. The basement was full of water when they arrived.

Revenue Minister Atishi has directed Chief Secretary Naresh Kumar to initiate an inquiry and submit a report within 24 hours on the incident.

(With PTI inputs)

(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)

Follow us