30 killed in pre-dawn Maha Kumbh stampede in Uttar Pradesh

Following the tragedy, the Akaras initially announced that the Amrit Snan had been cancelled. Later, Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad president Ravindra Puri said a scaled-down Snan would be held after the crowd dwindles.

Published Jan 29, 2025 | 2:20 PMUpdated Jan 29, 2025 | 8:55 PM

30 killed in pre-dawn Maha Kumbh stampede in Uttar Pradesh

At least 30 people were killed and over 60 were injured in a stampede at the ongoing duodecennial Maha Kumbh Mela at Prayagraj in Uttar Pradesh on Wednesday,  29 Wednesday.

The stampede occurred after several pilgrims scaled a barricade at the Triveni Sangam — the confluence of rivers Ganga, Yamuna, and Saraswati — between 1 am and 2 am as thousands of people waited for a holy dip — Amrit Snan — on the auspicious day of Mauni Amavasya.

Following the incident, Amrit Snan was disrupted for a while. The Akaras (monastic orders) and Sadhus (ascetics) will take the dip once the crowd thins. The police were expecting around 10 crore pilgrims to converge for the Snan.

“We do not have official numbers of stampede victims since we have been involved in crowd control here. The injured are being treated,” reports quoted DIG (Maha Kumbh) Vaibhav Mishra. He said the situation was under control.

Snan scaled down

The Mauni Amavasya this year has been of special significance due to a rare celestial event, Triveni Yog, occurring after 144 years.

Following the tragedy, the Akaras initially announced that the Amrit Snan had been cancelled. Later, Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad president Ravindra Puri said a scaled-down Snan would be held after the crowd becomes less.

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, meanwhile, urged pilgrims to take the dip at the ghat nearest to their location instead of heading to the Sangam Nose where the stampede occurred. Puri of the Akhara Parishad also called upon the pilgrims not to rush to the Sangam but take the holy bath “wherever they find Ganga-ji”.

Also Read: Six killed, more than 20 injured in Tirupati stampede

PM Modi speaks to Adityanath

Adityanath said Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to him four times after the stampede.

While offering condolences to the devotees who had lost their loved ones, Modi said on X that the local administration was helping the victims in every possible way.

Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi said on X that “Mismanagement and administration’s special focus on VIP movement instead of common devotees are responsible for this tragic incident”.  He demanded the reining of the VIP culture and better arrangements for the common man.

AICC general secretary and Lok Sabha member Priyanka Gandhi blamed “administrative negligence” for the tragedy. She urged the authorities to airlift the injured to better medical facilities.

The Maha Kumbh Mela, which began on 13 January will continue till 26 February.

Follow us