Third party complaint filed against actor Siddique even as Revathy Sampath says she won’t file one yet

Revathy also said she had raised serious allegations against Telugu director Rajesh Touchriver and his wife activist Sunita Krishnan.

Published Aug 25, 2024 | 3:10 PMUpdated Aug 25, 2024 | 3:10 PM

Revathy Sampath. (Instagram)

Revelations made by actor Revathy Sampath against the now-resigned AMMA general secretary Siddique, which made him resign on Sunday, 25 August, has led to a police complaint against the senior actor.

The complaint, lodged with the Kochi City Police Commissioner, accused Siddique of offences warranting charges including the Sections in the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act. The complaint also calls for action against director Ranjith who faces similar allegations.

Revathy also said she had raised serious allegations against Telugu director Rajesh Touchriver and his wife activist Sunita Krishnan. She added that she also had to face harassment by actor Riyaz Khan.

Also Read: Malayalam actor Siddique resigns as AMMA general secretary

‘Not filing case unless support guaranteed’

Meanwhile, Revathy said she is not filing a case against the senior actor. The young actress said that she would review her decision only if the government gave her surety that she would get support for the legal battle.

Following the release of the Justice Hema Committee report on 19 August, several allegations of sexual misconduct have surfaced against Malayalam actors.

The complainant, a resident of Vytilla in Kochi urged the authorities to investigate allegations against both Siddique and Ranjith thoroughly.

Kochi City Police Commissioner S Syamsundar IPS told South First that the complaint has been registered by a third party.

He emphasised that for further action, the complainant needs to provide a witness statement.

“Since this is a rape case, the victim must come forward to proceed with legal actions. The victim in the Siddique case has previously stated in interviews that she is not interested in pursuing legal action. if anyone approaches the police seeking justice, a thorough inquiry will be conducted,” Syamundar said.

He said the police are currently reviewing the complaint and preparing to take appropriate action based on the developments.

‘Prioritising mental peace’

Revathy recollected that when she visited the police station to file a complaint over the emotional abuse the senior officer whom she met at the police station had no idea about sexual harassment.

“Right now, I have no plans to file a formal complaint against Siddique. I am already traumatised. I faced so much pressure after opening up about the attack. I am giving priority to my mental peace now,” Revathy said.

“The government should give assurance through action. Whenever I approached the police with a sexual assault complaint, I faced another kind of rape from the officials. Some of them asked me to quit the industry. Even women in the Women’s Commission also didn’t support me,” said Revathy.

The actress said that she is fed up watching the melodrama of Siddique. According to her, he won the positions in the film industry after shattering the dreams of many women.

“He is a cunning person who knows well how to impress and suppress people. He is an attacker and criminal,” she said.

Also Read: Filmmaker Ranjith resigns as chairman of Kerala Chalachitra Academy

‘He should be banned’

The actress also stated that Siddique should be banned in the artistic space as well as the film industry.

“I faced sexual assault while shooting for ‘Mind game’ directed by Rajesh Touchriver. Sunita Krishnan was the co-producer of the movie. I had admired Sunita Krishnan as she is a rape survivor and human rights activist. But even she never supported me. She treated me as a troublemaker for demanding my pending wage. She never asked me about my issues,” Revathy said.

Revathy also alleged that actor Riyaz Khan had contacted her in the night and asked her if she was interested in sex and also asked her about the sex positions she liked.

Meanwhile, actor Manju Warrier has expressed her support for survivors. In her social media post, she wrote: “Let’s just not forget all of this started because one woman actually had the gumption to fight”.

Filmmaker and actor Geethu Mohandas also expressed her support for the victims via her Instagram post.

(Edited by Muhammed Fazil)

(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)

Follow us