Nipah affected Kerala teenager succumbs at Kozhikode Medical College Hospital

According to the doctors of the medical college hospital, the teen who was kept on ventilator support breathed his last on Sunday.

Published Jul 21, 2024 | 2:14 PMUpdated Jul 21, 2024 | 2:14 PM

Nipah affected Kerala teenager succumbs at Kozhikode Medical College Hospital

A 14-year-old boy, a native of Pandikkad in the Malappuram district of Kerala, who tested positive for zoonotic Nipah virus (NiV) succumbed to the disease on Sunday, 21 July. He was being treated at Government Medical College Hospital in Kozhikode.

According to the doctors of the medical college hospital, the teen who was kept on ventilator support breathed his last at around 11.30 am on Sunday.

At around 10.50 am, the boy suffered a cardiac arrest which resulted in internal bleeding. His blood pressure went down and the doctors’ efforts to revive him did not succeed.

Kerala Health Minister Veena George confirmed that the boy’s health deteriorated on Sunday morning leading to his death.

Related: ‘Route map’ of the Nipah affected boy released

Funeral to follow infection control protocols

The minister said the funeral will be held following international medical protocols for infection control.

“Further matters on the funeral will be decided only after the district Collector discusses with the boy’s parents and the family,” George said.

On 10 July, the boy had a fever, after returning from school and was taken to a private clinic in Pandikkad on 12 July.

As the fever was persistent, he was taken to another hospital the next day and was admitted to a private hospital at Perinthalmanna where he was diagnosed with brain fever.

Following this, he was moved to another private hospital in Kozhikode and his swab samples were sent to the Pune Virology Institute. The institute on 20 July confirmed that he was infected with Nipah virus.

Following the instructions of the state Health Department, the boy, who was on the ventilator, was shifted to Kozhikode Medical College Hospital.

Also Read: Woman, who fell unconscious after being given “wrong” injection dies

Route map released

Earlier in the day, the state government released the route map of the boy.

The health minister requested that people who were present at the locations during the specified times contact the control room.

According to a statement from the Health Minister’s office, actions would be coordinated according to the SOP formulated according to the government order regarding Nipah prevention.

There are 214 people on the primary contact list. 60 people are in the high-risk category. Thirty isolation rooms have been arranged at Government Medical College Hospital in Malappuram.

Additionally, necessary isolation wards have been set up at Government Medical College Hospital in Kozhikode.

(Edited by Muhammed Fazil)

(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)

Follow us