Published Feb 18, 2026 | 11:18 PM ⚊ Updated Feb 18, 2026 | 11:18 PM
District Hospital, Nedumangad
Synopsis: The Kerala Health Department has suspended a gynaecologist at the District Hospital in Nedumangad after a newborn died following a caesarean section and has ordered an inquiry into the case. Family members alleged medical negligence and staged protests at the hospital. Officials said the procedure was performed after signs of foetal distress and that there were no procedural lapses.
The Kerala Health Department has suspended Dr Bindu Sundar, Consultant Gynaecologist and Resident Medical Officer at the District Hospital, Nedumangad, a day after a newborn died following an alleged last-minute caesarean section on Tuesday, 17 February.
After the incident, Director of Health Services KJ Reena placed her on compulsory leave. The Health Department then ordered her transfer on Wednesday.
Later the same day, it suspended her with immediate effect under Rule 10(1)(a) of the Kerala Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1960, pending disciplinary proceedings. During the suspension, she is eligible for subsistence allowance under service rules.
The infant was born to 36-year-old Ranjana Krishnan of Vithura. Doctors had categorised the pregnancy as high risk because of advanced maternal age.
Sources said staff tried to revive the newborn but failed.
Dr Sundar told the media she had been attending another case when she was called to review the patient. She said doctors decided to perform a C-section after consultation because the foetal heart rate changed.
Ranjana and her husband, Binil Manohar, reportedly arrived at the hospital on Monday morning to verify her ninth-month scan results. She was admitted and taken to the labour room in the early hours of Tuesday.
Family members later alleged that doctors had planned a normal delivery and said a caesarean section would be performed if labour did not progress by noon. When labour did not advance, staff moved her to the operation theatre at about 2.20 pm. Minutes later, the family was told the baby could not be saved.
They refused to accept the infant’s body, alleging medical negligence and raising claims of bribery.
Relatives and local activists then staged protests on the hospital premises, demanding the doctor’s immediate suspension. Workers of the Congress, BJP and SDPI joined the demonstrations, and scuffles broke out with police. At one point, protestors blocked Dr Sundar’s car before police intervened and escorted her back into the hospital.
The agitation continued overnight, with demonstrators insisting on immediate action.
Minister GR Anil submitted a letter to Health Minister Veena George seeking action. She then instructed the Health Director to conduct an urgent probe.
Meanwhile, the case has renewed scrutiny of earlier complaints against Dr Sundar. Authorities are already investigating an allegation linked to complications after a caesarean she performed. A separate inquiry is under way into a complaint that a woman experienced unusual fluid discharge after the procedure.
Health department sources said Ranjana went into spontaneous labour and doctors chose close monitoring with a view to a normal delivery. But a sudden fluctuation in the foetal heart rate forced a reassessment.
Doctors reportedly attempted vacuum extraction twice, but it failed. As signs of foetal distress became clear, the team proceeded with an emergency C-section to prevent uterine rupture and protect the mother’s life.
Officials said the medical records show timely intervention and proper monitoring.
Senior consultants, including specialists from the Government Women and Children’s Hospital, Thycaud, carried out a preliminary review of the case sheets and reportedly found no procedural lapses.
On the instructions of Health Minister Veena George, the government constituted a three-member expert committee to conduct a detailed inquiry. The panel includes specialists in paediatrics, gynaecology and anaesthesia from SAT Hospital and the Government Medical College.
The team visited the Nedumangad hospital, began recording statements from staff and examining clinical records. The Health Department said further action will depend on the committee’s final report.
Revenue Divisional Officer KP Jayakumar and Hospital Superintendent Dr KV Sumi said responsibility will be fixed if wrongdoing is established.
At the same time, the Kerala Government Medical Officers’ Association (KGMOA), Thiruvananthapuram district unit, criticised the protests against Dr Sundar as a “mob trial”.
In a statement, the association said doctors and health workers were effectively held hostage during the protests and warned that such actions threaten the public health system.
KGMOA said acting against medical professionals under external pressure, before a scientific and expert-led inquiry is complete, violates natural justice.
It organised demonstrations across health institutions in the district and warned of stronger protests if the government fails to ensure doctors’ safety and due process.