Malayalam star Nivin Pauly accused of rape, FIR filed; Actor deems allegations ‘fake’

Actor Nivin Pauly has been accused of rape by a woman, adding him to the list of Mollywood celebrities being called out in the latest Me Too wave, ever since the release of the Justice Hema Committee report that exposed the dark underbelly of the Malayalam film industry.

Published Sep 03, 2024 | 7:30 PMUpdated Sep 04, 2024 | 9:03 AM

Sexual harassment complaint against Mollywood actor Nivin Pauly

Malayalam actor Nivin Pauly has joined the long list of Mollywood celebrities, which includes actors, directors and producers alike, in being accused of sexual harassment. On 3 Tuesday, 3 September, a woman alleged that the actor raped her under the pretext of offering her a job opportunity.

The Hema Committee report was released on 19 August after being kept in storage for five years. Even though only a redacted version has been released, it continues to cause huge ripple effects, not just in the Malayalam film industry but also across several film industries as more survivors are coming forward with accusations of various kinds of sexual abuse by top men in the industries.

A recent addition to the list is Nivin Pauly. Police officials confirmed to South First that a woman has come forward with allegations that she was abused sexually by the actor in Dubai last year. Police said Nivin Pauly has been named as the sixth accused while producer AK Sunil is the second accused in the rape case.

According to the CI of Oonnukal Police Station in Kerala’s Ernakulam, the first accused in the case is a woman. Further, the CI told South First that the case filed against Nivin Pauly is non-bailable and the FIR will be transferred to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) formed by the Kerala police for further investigation.

Initially filed with the Ernakulam Rural Police, the case was later transferred to the Oonnukal Police Station, which will soon be transferred to the SIT.

According to the FIR accessed by South First, Nivin Pauly faces charges under several sections related to rape and outraging a woman’s modesty,  including sections 376 (rape), 354 (outraging the modesty of a woman), and 376D (gang rape) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). The other accused in the case are Shreya, Binu, Basheer, AK Sunil and Kuttan.

The SIT was specifically formed to address complaints pertaining to Mollywood since the release of the Justice Hema Committee report and this case, filed in Ernakulam, making it the eleventh case filed so far.

Related: Mollywood’s drug abuse goes out of focus as lewd acts grab attention from Hema committee report

Nivin Pauly denies allegation 

Reacting to the complaint filed against him, the actor said that the allegation is “entirely untrue.” Nivin Pauly said that he is ready to go to any extent to prove that the allegation is baseless.

Taking to the social media platform ‘X’ to comment on the rape charges against him, he wrote, “I have come across a false news report accusing me of abusing a girl. Please know that it is entirely untrue. I am determined to go to any extent to prove these allegations are baseless and will take necessary steps to bring all those responsible to light. Thank you for your concern. The rest will be handled legally.”

Also Read: Mollywood’s drug abuse goes out of focus as lewd acts grab attention from Hema committee report

Hema Committee report

The Hema Commission report, released after a protracted legal battle, got diluted due to the redactions imposed by the State Information Commission. While certain sections were deemed sensitive and exempted to protect individual privacy, the government’s decision to withhold additional portions has raised suspicions.

Critics argue that these omissions are intended to shield the identities of those implicated in the alleged wrongdoing. However, the publicised findings were enough to send shockwaves through the Malayalam film industry, laying bare the disturbing realities that have long plagued the male-dominated sector.

For many, the report’s findings were not entirely surprising, yet the scale and specificity of the allegations have been nothing short of a nightmare for some of the industry’s most powerful figures. Names that once commanded respect and admiration now stand tarnished, as accusations of sexual harassment and professional misconduct come thick and fast.

Allegations that had been raised in the past, but failed to gain the attention they deserved, have resurfaced with renewed vigour, leading to a wave of scrutiny and potential consequences. Among the many revelations, the report highlighted the systemic silencing of voices – especially those of women – who dare to speak out against the injustices they face.

(Edited by Neena with inputs from Sreelakshmi)

(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)

Follow us