Kerala Minister Saji Cheriyan responds to criticism surrounding Hema Committee report

The minister also announced that a press conference would soon be held to explain the government’s actions and progress on the committee’s recommendations.

Published Jun 04, 2025 | 2:04 PMUpdated Jun 04, 2025 | 2:04 PM

Saji Cheriyan

Synopsis: Minister Saji Cheriyan defended the Kerala government after actor Parvathy Thiruvothu criticised delays in implementing the Hema Committee report on women’s safety in cinema. He announced a film policy conclave next month. Parvathy voiced concern over stalled reforms and case closures. Of 120 cases, most remain inactive due to survivor reluctance, with only one charge sheet filed from Hema-based cases.

Minister for Cultural Affairs and Cinema Saji Cheriyan on Wednesday, 4 June, hit back against the criticism arising against the government’s handling of the Hema Committee report.

The Justice Hema Committee was set up in the aftermath of the 2017 actress assault case that triggered widespread outrage and exposed systemic issues faced by women in the Malayalam film industry.

Parvathy Thirvothu, known for her vocal stand on gender equality in cinema, had earlier taken to Instagram to express frustration after reports emerged that police were preparing to close the remaining cases registered on the basis of the Hema Committee’s findings, citing the reluctance of complainants to pursue legal action.

Tagging Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan in her post, Parvathy wrote, “Now can we focus on the actual reason this committee was formed? Putting policies in place to help make regulations in the industry? No rush, eh? It’s only been five and a half years since the report was submitted.”

Reacting to Parvathy’s social media post that questioned the prolonged delay in implementing reforms recommended by the committee, Cheriyan accused “certain individuals of deliberately spreading misconceptions.”

Also Read: Hema Committee formed with hope, but with SIT probe stalled, was it all in vain?

Policy conclave to be held next month

He insisted that Chief Minister Vijayan had constituted the Hema Committee with genuine concern for the welfare of women in the film industry and reaffirmed that a policy conclave would be convened next month to address the matter.

“Some people are creating misunderstandings. The chief minister took a special interest in forming the Hema Committee.

A conclave will be held next month to shape a comprehensive film policy. Those making such remarks may not be aware of these developments,” Cheriyan told reporters.

The minister also announced that a press conference would soon be held to explain the government’s actions and progress on the committee’s recommendations.

Also Read: Hema Committee report, hullabaloo and silence of survivors

Mala Parvathy’s post

Meanwhile, actor Mala Parvathy has responded to fellow actor Parvathy Thiruvothu’s recent criticism.

In a social media post titled “An Open Letter to My Dear Parvathy Thiruvothu”, Mala Parvathy expressed her surprise at Parvathy’s remarks questioning what the government had done in the past five years.

Listing initiatives like the Justice Hema Committee, the formation of a special investigation team (SIT), and moves to draft a policy framework for women in cinema, Mala Parvathy said another state might not have taken even these steps.

Mala Parvathy questioned why many of those who appeared before the Hema panel later refused to cooperate with the SIT or testify in court, despite receiving notices.

“It baffles me to see those with backbone and position avoiding it,” she noted. While expressing continued respect for Parvathy Thiruvothu and Women in Cinema Collective, Mala Parvathy called for greater clarity in their statements.

She also stressed that justice should not be one-sided and the government cannot bypass due process merely based on allegations. “Right To Be Heard is a fundamental principle. It’s the responsibility of a government to uphold it for both men and women,” she wrote.

Mala Parvathy concluded by questioning the point of ridiculing the ongoing draft policy discussions aimed at ensuring a safer, fairer film industry.

Also Read: Nilambur by-election: Test for CPI(M) prestige, UDF unity and PV Anvar’s survival

Closure of cases

Though no official statement has come, there are reports that the SIT is set to close all cases registered in connection with the Hema Committee report.

According to officials, individuals who gave statements before the committee have shown no interest in pursuing the cases further. Of the 35 cases, 21 have already been closed and the reports submitted. The remaining cases are also expected to be closed shortly.

SIT has filed charge sheets in 26 of the 120 registered FIRs. Many cases remain stalled as survivors are unwilling to cooperate. The SIT has informed courts that investigations will resume if survivors come forward.

Of the 120 cases, 35 were based on the Hema Committee report and 85 stemmed from social media disclosures.

Only one charge sheet has been filed among the Hema report-based cases, involving a make-up artist.

(Edited by Sumavarsha, with inputs from Dileep V Kumar.)

Follow us