Speaking to the media, Cheriyan stated that no action will be initiated against anyone based on "mere allegations."
Published Aug 24, 2024 | 10:54 AM ⚊ Updated Aug 24, 2024 | 10:54 AM
Saji Cherian MLA. (Twitter)
Kerala Cultural Affairs Minister Saji Cheriyan on Saturday, 24 August, backed the director and Kerala Chalachitra Academy chairperson Ranjith amid allegations against him for behaving inappropriately with a female actor—Sreelekha Mitra.
Speaking to the media, Cheriyan stated that no action will be initiated against anyone based on “mere allegations.”
“Ranjith is one of India’s finest directors. How could an action be initiated against such a person, based on an allegation? If a complaint is there, let it be filed formally. The government will take it up.”
Referring to Ranjith continuing as the Kerala Chalachitra Academy Chairperson, Cheriyan said, “Ranjith was appointed by the party (CPI(M)) and it will decide whether Ranjith should continue or not.”
He further added. “Regarding whether I talked to Ranjith or not is not something I should reveal to you (media).”
The allegations come on the heels of the Justice Hema Committee report, which revealed the harassment faced by female actors in the film industry. The ruling LDF government has already been criticised for delaying the release of the report and also not taking any strong action.
Sreelekha Mitra, an actor from West Bengal, has levelled allegations of inappropriate behaviour by Ranjith.
The actor said she had to face it during the audition for Paleri Manikyam: Oru Pathirakolapathakathinte Katha (2009). She alleged that though she complained, no action has been taken so far.
Meanwhile, Ranjith denied the allegations and said that he did not misbehave with the actor and the only reason that she was denied the role was because she did not fit the role. The Bengali actor alleged that she was treated poorly by the director and that she spent an entire night at a hotel because of fear of what he might do. She further added that despite filing a complaint regarding the incident, no action has been taken so far.
Sreelekha further stated since she was against the inappropriate behaviour, she was not considered for the role in that film or any other films after that in Mollywood. Additionally, she mentioned that she was not given any money to return home and had to travel back with her own money.
Sreelekha further urged others who faced similar misconduct to come forward with their complaints and reveal the names of the perpetrators. She also suggested that committees like the Hema Committee, which investigated issues like inappropriate conduct or similar issues in the Malayalam film industry, should be established in other languages to address similar concerns.