The Chief Minister expressed deep grief and said that his government would neither “defend the tragedy nor politicise the matter.”
Published Jun 04, 2025 | 8:46 PM ⚊ Updated Jun 04, 2025 | 10:19 PM
Thousands of jubilant fans had lined the roads and gathered outside the legislature in anticipation of catching a glimpse of the RCB team.
Synopsis: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah announced a magisterial probe and ₹10 lakh ex-gratia for each bereaved family of the eleven people who were killed in a tragic stampede near Bengaluru’s Chinnaswamy Stadium during celebrations for Royal Challengers Bengaluru’s IPL victory. The tragedy, which also left at least 47 injured, was attributed by the Chief Minister to an overwhelming crowd, amid mounting criticism over inadequate crowd control.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on the evening of Wednesday, 4 June, announced a magisterial inquiry into the stampede that claimed 11 lives and injured at least 47 others near the M Chinnaswamy Stadium, where a felicitation ceremony had been organised for the Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) team.
“Deeply shocked by the tragic loss of lives in the stampede during the RCB victory celebrations near Chinnaswamy Stadium. A moment of joy has been eclipsed by sorrow. I extend my deepest condolences to the bereaved families and wish a speedy recovery to the injured,” the Chief Minister said in a post on X.
“Precautionary measures were taken by not allowing a victory parade, but the crowd surge near the stadium led to this tragedy. I urge everyone to always prioritise safety – above excitement, celebration, or crowd fervour.”
Addressing the media later in the evening from his official residence, the Chief Minister expressed deep grief and said that his government would neither “defend the tragedy nor politicise the matter.” He said nearly two to three lakh people had gathered in and around Vidhana Soudha and Chinnaswamy Stadium, as opposed to the expected 40,000.
He clarified that the fatal incident occurred inside the stadium, not near the Vidhana Soudha, where the state’s formal felicitation for the team was held.
Siddaramaiah confirmed that 11 people had died in the stampede-like situation and that 47 others were injured, several of whom have already been discharged.
“All injured are out of danger,” he said, adding that the state government would bear the full cost of medical treatment for all injured persons, including those admitted to private hospitals.
He announced an ex-gratia of ₹10 lakh each for the families of the deceased, noting that most of the victims were youngsters.
The government has appointed Jagadish G, Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate of Bengaluru, as the Inquiry Officer to conduct a comprehensive magisterial inquiry into the causes, sequence of events, and circumstances surrounding the stampede near the gates of Chinnaswamy Stadium.
The inquiry will also examine the deaths that occurred, any omissions that may have taken place, those responsible for such omissions, and whether negligence was a contributing factor and submit a report within 15 days.
After clinching its maiden IPL title on Tuesday, the RCB team, led by Captain Rajat Patidar and Virat Kohli, travelled directly from HAL Airport to Vidhana Soudha.
Thousands of jubilant fans had lined the roads and gathered outside the legislature in anticipation of catching a glimpse of the team.
The government had cancelled an earlier planned victory parade, citing security concerns, and instead organised a formal felicitation ceremony at Vidhana Soudha.
However, the surge of fans around both the stadium and the seat of government quickly overwhelmed authorities. Police sources said 5,000 personnel had been deployed to maintain law and order.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi termed the incident “absolutely heartrending”.
“The mishap in Bengaluru is absolutely heartrending. In this tragic hour, my thoughts are with all those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that those who are injured have a speedy recovery,” the Prime Minister’s Office quoted him as saying in a post on X.
Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha urged the Karnataka government to provide full support to the affected families.
“The tragic stampede near Bengaluru’s Chinnaswamy Stadium during RCB’s IPL victory celebrations is heartbreaking. My condolences to the families who lost their loved ones. Wishing a swift and full recovery to all those injured,” he said in a post on X.
“In this hour of grief, I stand with the people of Bengaluru. The Karnataka government must provide all possible support and relief to the affected families. This tragedy is a painful reminder: no celebration is worth a human life. Every safety protocol for public events must be reviewed and strictly enforced – lives must always come first.”
Meanwhile, the Karnataka unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party criticised the state government for “not ensuring adequate crowd management mechanisms.”
(Edited by Dese Gowda)