With dengue cases on rise, Karnataka minister directs officials to monitor infected persons

Rao said the health department has been continuously making efforts to control dengue and that they are expecting to see a decline in cases from next month.

Published Jul 26, 2024 | 6:26 PMUpdated Jul 26, 2024 | 6:26 PM

Health Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao in the dengue prevention awareness rally

Karnataka Health Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao on Friday, 26 July,  instructed officials to monitor dengue infected people for 14 days and urged Bengaluru civic body and health department officials to take all preventive measures to control the vector-borne disease in the city.

Rao visited the dengue hot spots in Yelahanka in Bengaluru and said that more attention is being paid to control the disease in the city.

“Dengue cases have declined in some districts. Of the total dengue cases in the state, Bengaluru accounts for 50 percent.

Therefore, I have directed the BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike) and Health Department officials in Bengaluru to pay more attention and bring dengue under control,” he told reporters.

Also Read: Dengue infects over 3,000 children in Karnataka till June 2024

Dengue prevention awareness rally

The minister participated in a dengue prevention awareness rally at Singanakanahalli Gram Panchayat in the Yelahanka Assembly constituency. He also went to schools to create awareness about dengue.

Rao said the health department has been continuously making efforts to control dengue and that they are expecting to see a decline in cases from next month.

Deputy director level officers are being sent to dengue hot spots in 10 districts. Officials will visit the hotspots for two days from 29 July and pay special attention to ensure implementation of dengue control measures. A dengue hotspot is identified if more than two positive cases are reported, he said.

“If more cases are found, fever clinics will be opened and all those with fever will be subjected to dengue testing,” he said.

According to the bulletin shared by the health department, 16,038 people were tested positive for dengue from 1 January to 25 July. Out of these, 12,709 people have recovered, 3,319 are active cases, 2,655 are under home care and 641 are hospitalised.

The vector-borne disease has so far claimed 10 lives in the state this year.

Also Read: Karnataka government reserves beds in Bengaluru’s key hospitals

Caution on Nipah

The health minister said that no cases of Nipah virus have been detected in the state. Since it has been reported in Kerala, caution needs to be taken in areas bordering the neighbouring state.

“We have issued an advisory to those traveling from the state to Kerala to be careful. Travel only if absolutely necessary,” he said.

The minister said, “Zika virus was recently detected in the state. It is not that dangerous. But one needs to be careful about Nipah. In this regard, the health department will also follow precautionary measures.”

Later, he posted on ‘X’, “During the rally, I emphasised the importance of preventing water stagnation around homes and maintaining cleanliness in tanks, Syntex containers, and drums. These measures are crucial in curbing the spread of dengue. I also urged everyone to seek immediate medical attention and get tested at a hospital if they experience any symptoms of fever.”

(Disclaimer: The headline, subheads, and intro of this report along with the photos may have been reworked by South First. The rest of the content is from a syndicated feed, and has been edited for style.)

(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)

Follow us