Undergraduate student allegedly raped by unidentified biker in Bengaluru

According to police sources, the alleged incident occurred while she was returning home from a pub in the Koramangala area.

Published Aug 18, 2024 | 1:26 PMUpdated Aug 19, 2024 | 1:32 AM

girl raped and murdered

With nationwide protests going on against the rape and murder of a junior doctor in West Bengal and a 14-year-old girl in Bihar, a final-year undergraduate student was allegedly raped by an unidentified man at HSR Layout in Bengaluru in the wee hours on Sunday, 18 August.

According to police sources, she is not a resident of Karnataka. The alleged incident occurred while she was returning home from a pub in Koramangala.

The police are on the lookout for the assailant.

Also Read: Telangana man accused of rape held before fleeing to Australia

The incident

“The victim is a final-year undergraduate student from a different state. An unknown miscreant sexually assaulted her,” Bengaluru South East Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Sarah Fathima told South First.

“She is doing fine now. A case has been registered at the HSR Layout Police Station. We are looking for the miscreant and the probe is underway,” Fathima added.

According to police sources, “She had been to one of the pubs in Koramangala. While returning home, she met with an accident and hitched a ride on a two-wheeler, leaving behind her vehicle.”

“She was intoxicated. The unknown assailant took her to HSR Layout and sexually assaulted her,” the sources added.

It was earlier reported that the woman had hailed an autorickshaw and was gang-raped.  Bengaluru City Additional Commissioner Raman Gupta later issued a clarification

“Early morning between 1 am and 1.30 am, a rape incident was reported at the HSR Layout police station,” he told reporters.

“A girl took a ride on two-wheeler around 1 am. The guy took her to an isolated place and raped her,” Gupta confirmed the assault.

“A rape case has been registered and further investigations are on. The girl has been hospitalised and her condition is now stable.”

He, however, said why she had accepted a lift home was unclear.

The Kolkata incident

Meanwhile, CBI officials have asked former principal of state-run RG Kar Medical College and Hospital Sandip Ghosh to appear before them for questioning for the third consecutive day in connection with their probe into the rape and murder of a woman doctor.

Ghosh, who was grilled for nearly 13 hours on Saturday, from 10 am till past midnight on Sunday, has been asked to come again this morning as CBI sleuths have several more questions for him, an officer of the investigating agency said.

So far, CBI has grilled over 20 people, including a couple of officers of the Kolkata Police, in connection with its investigation.

The body of the post-graduate trainee doctor was found in a seminar room at RG Kar Medical College and Hospital on 9 August. Police arrested a civic volunteer the next day in this connection.

On Saturday, senior doctors at public and private medical facilities participated in a 24-hour nationwide strike called by the IMA.

Also Read: Why sexual assault and brutal murder of Kolkata doctor resonates across states

Bihar police arrest one

Bihar Police on Friday arrested Mithilesh Kumar, who allegedly helped prime suspect Sanjay Rai evade arrest after the kidnapping and murder of a 14-year-old Dalit girl in Muzaffarpur district.

Kumar, a resident of Paru village, was apprehended and the vehicle used for Rai’s escape was seized, officials said.

The girl was allegedly kidnapped from her home in Paru village on August 11. Her body, marked with injuries, was found in a pond on the next day.

Police have charged Rai and five other persons in the case. This is the first arrest in the case, police said.

The victim’s parents, who are daily wagers, told police that Rai along with his accomplices had forcibly entered their house and held their daughter captive.

According to a statement by police, “Mithilesh Kumar has been arrested on charges of helping the prime accused flee the village after committing the crime. A vehicle has also been seized that was used by him to ferry Rai out of the village”.

Police posted a notice outside Rai’s house warning of asset confiscation if he does not surrender.

Senior Superintendent of Police Rakesh Kumar said while initial reports do not indicate sexual assault, an investigation is ongoing with the vaginal swab awaiting results. The girl’s death was attributed to blows to her head and neck, and a trowel was found near the crime scene.

(With inputs from Mahesh M Goudar)

(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)

Follow us