Two die in Tumakuru in Karnataka after drinking contaminated water; hundreds fall ill

The deceased were among the nearly hundred people, who fell ill on 10 June, after drinking water supplied during a village fair.

BySouth First Desk

Published Jun 13, 2024 | 9:25 PM Updated Jun 13, 2024 | 9:25 PM

Drinking water from tap. Representational Image. (Creative Commons)

At least two people have died after drinking contaminated water at Chinnenahalli village in Madhugiri taluk of the Tumakuru district, Home Minister G Parameshwara said on Thursday, 13 June.

According to officials, the deceased — Chikkadasappa (76) and Peddanna (72) — who died at a hospital in Tumakuru on Wednesday, were among the nearly hundred people, who fell ill on 10 June, after drinking contaminated water supplied from an overhead tank and a drinking water unit during the village fair.

Parameshwara, who is also the district in-charge minister, visited the hospital on Thursday and inquired about the health condition of those undergoing treatment.

Also Read: 3 dead, over 146 ill in Chitradurga after consuming contaminated water

Contaminated water supplied during temple event

“A temple fair was organised at Chinnenahalli, and there are reports that due to consumption of contaminated water, over a hundred people suffered from vomiting and loose motion. Some of them admitted themselves to private hospitals in Madhugiri, Koratagere and Tumakuru, and the district administration also shifted those affected to Tumakuru Hospital,” he told reporters.

He said two people have died at the hospital.

On reports that more people, including a three-year-old girl, have died at a private hospital, he sought to know the details from officials and said: “We will gather information about deaths in the private hospital and try to find out about overall deaths due to this incident.”

The minister said the village PDO (Panchayat Development Officer) and waterman have been suspended, as they did not take the precautionary measures.

“As per the inquiry done, water connection work was on, and due to damages in the water pipes caused by a JCB (construction equipment), contaminated water got mixed. Some test reports have come, and a few more are awaited, from which we will get more information,” he said.

More people are still undergoing treatment at the hospital, including children, Parameshwara said.

Taking this as a “lesson”, he said he has called a meeting of senior officers and will review the water supply system in the district.

Also Read: Drinking water samples to be tested to prevent contamination: DK Shivakumar

Earlier incidents

This incident adds up to several instances of the supply of contaminated water in Karnataka and subsequent deaths.

On 24 May, a three-year-old boy died, and about 30 people fell ill due to the alleged consumption of contaminated water in the Raichur district. The deceased has been identified as Hanumanth.

Following this, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on 28 May instructed officials to take immediate measures to address the situation.

The measures are expected to include ensuring proper treatment to those hospitalised and providing compensation to the family of the deceased child.

The residents of Rekalmardi alleged that even after they reported the damage to the drinking water pipeline more than a week ago, the Gram Panchayat staff didn’t fix the pipe, and this led to the supply of contaminated water to the village for the last week.

On the outskirts of the village, a drinking water pipeline passing through a canal, where the water for agricultural purposes is supplied, was damaged.

The stagnant water in the canal, which is polluted, mixed with the drinking water in the pipeline, and this contaminated water was being supplied to the village, alleged the villagers.

On 21 May, one person died and more than 48 others fell sick after drinking contaminated water in K Salundi village in Mysuru — the native district of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.

The deceased was identified as Kanakaraju (24).

In August last year, four people died after consuming contaminated drinking water in the Raichur district.

(Edited by Muhammed Fazil with PTI inputs)

South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram.