The CID has alleged that Yediyurappa and three others paid money to the alleged sexual assault victim and her mother to buy their silence.
Published Jul 12, 2024 | 6:39 PM ⚊ Updated Jul 13, 2024 | 2:40 PM
File photo of BS Yediyurappa. (Supllied)
The Karnataka High Court on Friday, 12 July adjourned to 26 July, the hearing on a petition filed by former Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa seeking the quashing of a POCSO case against him. The court also exempted the veteran BJP leader from personally appearing before a Bengaluru court in connection with the matter on 15 July.
The Fast Track Court 1 for POCSO Act cases in Bengaluru, on 4 July, issued a summons to the 81-year-old to appear before it on 15 July.
After the special court in Bengaluru issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against former Karnataka chief minister in the POCSO case, the high court on 14 June, had restrained the CID from arresting him. It also directed the veteran BJP leader to appear before CID, which is probing the case, on 17 June. On that day, he was questioned by the CID for three hours.
The 54-year-old woman, who had levelled the charge against Yediyurappa, died at a private hospital last month, due to lung cancer.
A day later, the High Court extended its interim order restraining the CID from arresting Yediyurappa after allowing the prosecution to file objections to the petition filed by him seeking quashing of the FIR and then adjourned further hearing by two weeks, which ended today.
The Criminal Investigation Department, which is probing the case, had filed a charge sheet against him at the Fast Track Court on 27 June.
The CID, probing charges against Yediyurappa of sexually assaulting a minor girl, has alleged in the chargesheet that he and three other accused paid money to the alleged victim and her mother to buy their silence.
Yediyurappa has been charged under Section 8 (punishment for sexual assault) of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and Sections 354A (sexual harassment), 204 (destruction of document or electronic record to prevent its production as evidence) and 214 (offering gift or restoration of property in consideration of screening offender) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
The other three co-accused – Arun YM, Rudresh M, and G Mariswamy – aides of Yediyurappa, are charged under IPC Sections 204 and 214.
According to the charge sheet, on 2 February this year, at around 11.15 am, the 17-year-old alleged victim, along with her 54-year-old mother — the complainant — visited Yediyurappa at his residence in Dollar’s Colony in Bengaluru seeking help in getting justice in a previous case of sexual assault (on the minor) and other issues.
While Yediyurappa was speaking with the mother, he was holding the victim’s right wrist with his left hand, it said.
Yediyurappa then called the minor inside a meeting room next to the hall and locked the door. He then asked the victim whether she remembered the face of the person who had sexually assaulted her earlier, to which the victim replied twice stating that she did, the chargesheet said.
After this Yediyurappa asked her what her age was then, to which she replied six-and-half; at this point, he allegedly tried to sexually assault her, the CID alleged.
The horrified victim pushed Yediyurappa’s hand, moved away and asked him to open the door. Yediyurappa then opened the door and exited after putting some cash in the hands of the victim from his pocket. He then told the victim’s mother that he couldn’t help them in the case and also gave her some money from his pocket and sent them away, the chargesheet said.
Yediyurappa was questioned for over three hours by the CID on 17 June. He has denied the charge and said he would fight the case legally.
(Edited by Neena with PTI inputs)
(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)