Private walking groups will now be required to register and comply with a set of guidelines to be released shortly, further adding to the already exhaustive list of dos and don'ts in one of Bengaluru’s largest and last remaining green spaces.
Published Aug 06, 2025 | 9:00 AM ⚊ Updated Aug 06, 2025 | 9:00 AM
Cubbon Park. (Karnataka Horticulture Department)
Synopsis: The Karnataka Horticulture Department has suspended all private walking tours and other group activities in Cubbon Park from 5 August, citing the need to curb unregulated commercial use of the public space. A new policy mandating registration and compliance with official guidelines is being drafted, following the department’s recent launch of its own guided programme, Cubbon Walks.
The Karnataka Horticulture Department is drafting a new policy to regulate private walking tours inside Cubbon Park.
The move comes just days after the department halted all such “commercial activities” in the park from 5 August, adding to an already exhaustive list of dos and don’ts in one of Bengaluru’s largest and last remaining green spaces.
According to sources in the department, private walking groups will now be required to register and follow a set of guidelines that will be released shortly.
Notably, the department had recently launched its own guided programme, Cubbon Walks, developed in collaboration with The Naturalist School and BangaloreWALKS. The initiative aims to raise ecological awareness and promote appreciation for the park’s biodiversity and heritage.
The Horticulture Department said the move is intended to curb commercial exploitation of a common public space.
“Most of these groups charge above ₹500 for walks. Our own department charges ₹200. This creates confusion for the public,” G Kusuma, Deputy Director, Cubbon Park, Horticulture Department, told South First.
“We don’t mind if someone wants to do it for free. If the same people who are conducting private tours want to work with us on our tours as guides, then we can accommodate that based on the eligibility conditions. But we do not want people to make money using the name of Cubbon Park.”
She also referred to another commercial event that was planned within the park premises.
A ‘Blind Date’ event, listed on BookMyShow with tickets priced at ₹999, was scheduled to be held every Saturday and Sunday from 2 to 31 August.
The event proposed anonymous, blindfolded conversations among participants, describing the park as a space for “meaningful exchanges without judgment”.
It attracted interest from over 1,400 people within 24 hours, prompting Kusuma to file a complaint with the Cubbon Park Police.
“The organiser hadn’t sought any permission,” Kusuma said. “If we allow events like this, the park will soon be overrun with unregulated commercial activity. This is a government-maintained public space, and its essence must be preserved.”
Several independent groups conduct nature or heritage-themed walks in Cubbon Park.
One such group, Bengaluru Prayana, had planned a heritage walk on 3 August. Days before the event, the department contacted them asking for the walk to be cancelled and ticket fees refunded.
“Heritage walks don’t necessarily fall under the category of commercial events that the department previously banned. We are promoting heritage, which is a shared goal,” said Raksha Nagaraj, founder of Bengaluru Prayana, told South First.
The group had earlier conducted two walks in the park, charging ₹750 per person.
“There needs to be a collaborative policy where both the government and groups like ours can work together towards this common purpose,” Nagaraj added.
She also pointed out that there were no publicly available guidelines for seeking permission. “We are willing to follow the rules, we just want the process to be transparent,” she said.
Others in the community also acknowledged the need for oversight.
“Some groups charge exorbitant fees. There should be a regulatory body to oversee them,” said Mansoor Ali, founder of Bengaluru By Foot, another walking collective focused on the city’s heritage.
Ali added that his group had no objection to stepping aside.
“When the Horticulture Department itself offers guided walks at just ₹200 with professional naturalists leading them, I support their action,” he said.
Officials said the draft policy will also cover other activities such as collective yoga and meditation sessions. The policy is still under discussion and will take some time to be finalised. Until then, all such activities remain suspended in the park.
“In the meantime, if anyone wants to go for a heritage walk inside the park, they can register for the department’s initiative. We have been receiving good response since the time we launched it,” Kusuma said.
From restrictions on public displays of affection to limits on group gatherings, Cubbon Park has, in recent years, steadily accumulated a long list of rules policing the dos and don’ts for park-goers.
While some of these are displayed on a board near the metro gate, the state government issued an official order on 23 April 2025 listing both permitted and prohibited activities in the park.
The order specifies that not more than 20 writers, readers or artists can gather at once. A 15-acre stretch from the gazebo near the BSNL-side entrance, through the canal bridge to the parking area adjacent to the High Court, is designated for non-commercial activities such as reading, painting, and informal get-togethers.
Groups with more than 20 people are required to obtain permission from the Deputy Director.
Photography is permitted for tourists and casual visitors. However, commercial shoots including pre/post-wedding photography, baby photo sessions, modelling portfolios, and social media content such as reels are banned.
Nature, plant or wildlife photographers may apply for permission through the Horticulture Department. While individual activities such as cycling and skating are allowed, formal training sessions are not.
Kites, balloons and frisbees are also banned to protect the park’s ecosystem. The order further reiterates an earlier ban on food consumption in the park, in a bid to prevent littering.
(Edited by Dese Gowda)