Midday meal or mindset? Dalit cook allegation clouds Homma school closure threat

SP Dr. BT Kavitha said villagers claimed that when three cooks worked, all students ate the Mid-Day Meal, but with only one cook now, some students refuse

Published Jun 26, 2025 | 5:51 PMUpdated Jun 26, 2025 | 5:51 PM

Midday meal or mindset? Dalit cook allegation clouds Homma school closure threat

Synopsis: In Chamarajanagar’s Homma Government Higher Primary School, 21 of 22 students have been withdrawn by parents, allegedly after a Dalit woman, Lingamma, became the sole Mid-Day Meal cook. Previously a sweeper at the school, she recently began cooking, but reports suggest only 7 children ate the meals, with others choosing to eat at home. The incident has sparked concerns of caste-based discrimination

At the Homma Government Higher Primary School in Chamarajanagar taluk, a curious case has arisen where parents are refusing to send their children.

According to sources, the school had 22 students enrolled this year, but only one student remains. Parents of 21 students have either obtained Transfer Certificates (TCs) or applied for them, thereby transferring their children to other schools.

All this after a Dalit woman became the only cook in-charge of the Mid-Day meals. It is being alleged that only 7 children would actually eat the cooked food. The rest would go home and eat.

The cook Lingamma has been working in the same school for the past many years. She used to wash, clean and sweep the school. It was only recently that she began cooking.

On Wednesday, Chamarajanagar District Superintendent of Police Dr. BT Kavitha, while speaking to the media in Homma village, said that during an inquiry into the incident of parents not sending their children to the government school because the cook is a Dalit woman, the villagers stated that earlier there were three cooks and all children used to eat the Mid-day meal. But now, since there is only one cook, some students are refusing to eat food prepared by her.

When the cook was questioned, she said that some students were indeed refusing to eat the food she prepared. The SP added, “If Lingamma files a complaint, we will register a case and initiate an investigation.”

‘Quality of education’ blamed 

Speaking to South First, the SP stated that the issue is mostly due to the quality of education and not because of the cook. “Because of the quality of education, they have taken the TC. The district administration and public education department has changed the teachers, so they are coming back to the school now.”

She added that some students were not eating since the food was not tasty and they were going home.

The Headmaster Chinnaswamy, speaking to the local media, said that earlier there were complaints that the teachers were not conducting classes properly. Even the villagers had reported the matter to higher authorities and that this issue is now being resolved.

BSP State Secretary N. Nagayya has accused education officials of trying to distort the facts. Speaking to the media on Thursday, Nagayya demanded that an impartial investigation be conducted against the District Deputy Director of Public Instruction (DDPI) and the Block Education Officer (BEO), and that strict action be taken.

Also Read: The mythical fortress and tribal realities

School Visit Report 

Following a report in Kannada Prabha titled “21 children leave school after Dalit woman appointed as cook, only one remains,” a high-level inspection was conducted at Homma Government Higher Primary School on 25 June 2025.

The visit was led by the CEO of the Zilla Panchayat, Chamarajanagar, along with the District Superintendent of Police, Field Education Officers, and Akshara Dasoha Programme officials. Discussions were held with school staff and local villagers.

Currently, the school has three teachers: Mr. Chinnaswamy B (Head Teacher In-Charge), Mr. Nataraju, and Mr. Ravi (Associate Teachers). It was found that Mr. Ravi and Mr. Nataraju were not conducting lessons effectively and had poor rapport with villagers, leading to dissatisfaction among parents. As a result, 21 of the 22 enrolled students were transferred.

In response, Mr. Ravi was temporarily posted to SHP School, Kavudavadi, and Mr. Nataraju has taken long leave. Notices were issued to both. A guest teacher and Mr. Naganna from SHP Masagapur have been assigned to the school.

The alleged caste-based issue regarding the Dalit cook was refuted by the SDMC and parents. They clarified the withdrawal was due to dissatisfaction with teaching quality and food hygiene. Midday meals were found to be clean and tasty. Officials urged parents to resume sending children to school, where eight students were present that day. Regular monitoring was recommended.

(Edited by Ananya Rao)

Follow us