In a notice to the original complainant, activist Snehamayi Krishna, Lokayukta SP Udesh stated that the case was civil in nature and did not warrant further criminal investigation.
Published Feb 19, 2025 | 9:40 PM ⚊ Updated Feb 19, 2025 | 9:40 PM
Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and activist Snehamayi Krishna
Synopsis: The Lokayukta Police has moved to close a case against Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, his wife, and two others in an alleged Mysore Urban Development Authority (MUDA) scam, citing insufficient evidence and the civil nature of the matter. The case involved allegations that Siddaramaiah misused his public office to obtain 14 prime sites in Mysuru as compensation for 3.16 acres of land owned by his wife. The complainant, journalist Snehamayi Krishna, criticised the decision, claiming bias in the investigation.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah received major relief in the alleged Mysore Urban Development Authority (MUDA) scam case on Wednesday, 19 February, as the Mysuru Lokayukta Police moved to close the case against him and three other accused, citing insufficient evidence.
The accused include the chief minsiter’s wife BM Parvathi, brother-in-law BM Mallikarjuna Swamy and land owner J Devaraju.
In a notice to the original complainant, journalist and activist Snehamayi Krishna, Lokayukta SP Udesh stated that the case was civil in nature and did not warrant further criminal investigation.
“This is civil in nature, not suitable for investigation, indicates wrong understanding of law, and the complaint also contains dismissed cases. Also there is lack of sufficient evidence according to Lok notice. All accused’s accusations are not proven due to lack of evidence. The final report has been submitted to the court, and if there are any objections, they must be raised with the judge within a week,” the notice read.
Earlier this month, the Karnataka High Court refused to transfer the Lokayukta investigation to the CBI, with Justice Nagrasanna dismissing Krishna’s petition.
Siddaramaiah’s family has been accused of misusing public office to obtain 14 sites — at a prime locality in Mysuru — as compensation from the MUDA over the alleged illegal encroachment of 3.16 acres of land by the local development authority.
The MUDA had allotted plots to his wife Parvathi under a 50:50 ratio scheme in lieu of her land, where MUDA developed a residential layout.
Under the controversial scheme, MUDA allotted 50 percent of developed land to the land losers instead of undeveloped land acquired from them for forming residential layouts.
BJP leaders have claimed that the MUDA “scam” is of the magnitude of ₹4,000 crore to ₹5,000 crore.
Snehamayi Krishna strongly criticised the Lokayukta’s decision, accusing officials of bias. “I had already said this case was not being investigated properly,” Krishna said. “Now, they are trying to close it by filing a ‘B Report,’ claiming lack of evidence.”
Krishna alleged that Lokayukta officials were shielding the chief minister and his family. “They say there is insufficient evidence against all accused. But despite submitting so many documents, they claim a lack of proof,” Krishna said. “If an IPS officer lacks basic knowledge, what does that mean?”
(Edited by Dese Gowda with inputs from Nolan Patrick Pinto)