KSCA officials resign, take moral responsibility after Bengaluru stadium stampede

KSCA Secretary A Shankar and Treasurer E S Jairam announced their resignations.

Published Jun 07, 2025 | 1:31 PMUpdated Jun 07, 2025 | 1:31 PM

Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA)

Synopsis: Following the 4 June stampede near Bengaluru’s M Chinnaswamy Stadium that killed 11 and injured 56, KSCA Secretary A Shankar and Treasurer E S Jairam resigned, taking moral responsibility. The Karnataka High Court took suo motu cognisance and sought a status report by 10 June, while granting interim protection to KSCA officials amid ongoing investigations into the tragedy and crowd mismanagement.

Following the tragic stampede outside the M Chinnaswamy stadium on 4 June, which led to the death of 11 people and injured many more,  a string of resignations and suspensions have taken place.

After facing severe flak, two officials from the Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA) have stepped down by taking moral responsibility for the tragedy.

In a press release released on Saturday, 7 June, KSCA Secretary A Shankar and Treasurer E S Jairam announced their resignations. This comes after KSCA along with RCB moved the Karnataka High Court over FIRs filed in connection with the 4 June incident.

The release stated, “This is to inform that due to the unforeseen and unfortunate events that have unfolded in the last two days and though our role was very limited, but owning moral responsibility, we wish to sate that last night we have tendered our resignation to our respective posts as the Secretary and Treasurer of the Karnataka State Cricket Association, by way of a letter dated 06.06.2025 to the President of the Karnataka State Cricket Association.”

On Thursday, 5 June, the High Court of Karnataka took suo motu cognisance of the incident. The high court directed the state government to submit a status report by 10 June.

Furthermore, interim protection from arrest to KSCA officials was also provided by the court on the condition that officials fully cooperate with the police investigation.

Related: What led to RCB parade stampede

The stampede

After clinching its maiden IPL title on Tuesday, the RCB team, led by Captain Rajat Patidar and Virat Kohli, travelled directly from HAL Airport to Vidhana Soudha.

Thousands of jubilant fans had lined the roads and gathered outside the legislature in anticipation of catching a glimpse of the team.

The government had cancelled an earlier planned victory parade, citing security concerns, and instead organised a formal felicitation ceremony at Vidhana Soudha.

However, the surge of fans around both the stadium and the seat of government quickly overwhelmed authorities. Police sources said 5,000 personnel had been deployed to maintain law and order.

In its statement of facts to the high court, the state government has said that a total of 56 people were brought injured to the hospital and of them, only six are still being treated at the hospital.

The statement read, “More than 2.5 lakh people had gathered around the M Chinnaswamy Stadium, resulting in a total number of 11 deaths at various gates. Four deaths at Gate 7, two deaths at Gate 6, one death at Gate 1, and four deaths at Gates 17–21…”

The statement said that 56 people were injured and claimed that adequate medical facilities were provided to all the injured persons.

(Edited by Sumavarsha)

Follow us