Karnataka to appeal against Cauvery panel directive on water release to Tamil Nadu

A total of only 60 percent water is available in all the four reservoirs of Cauvery basin in the Karnataka, said the CM.

Published Jul 12, 2024 | 10:22 PMUpdated Jul 12, 2024 | 10:22 PM

Karnataka CM on releasing Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Friday, 12 July said an appeal will be filed against the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee’s (CWRC) directive to the State to release one TMC Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu daily till the end of this month.

After a meeting with Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar, who is also the Water Resources Minister, Ministers from the Cauvery River basin area, and officials, he also said that an all-party meeting will be held on 14 July to decide on the state’s next course of action.

“Despite forecasts for normal rains this time, there is a deficit of 28 percent in inflow so far. This was clearly stated by us in our stand before the CWRC. Also, we requested not to take any decision till the end of July, still, CWRC has asked to release one TMC of water every day from July 12,” Siddaramaiah said.

He said that, in today’s meeting, it was opined that the government should file an appeal against this order before the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA).

“All parties are together on Karnataka’s water issue. Therefore, an all-party meeting will be held (on 14 July),” the Chief Minister said.

Union Ministers, Members of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha Members from the State, and MLAs from the Cauvery river basin region will also be invited to the meeting, he said, adding, that the government will decide its next move taking everyone into confidence.

The CM also added that while measuring at Biligundlu, 5,000 cusecs of water is being released into Tamil Nadu, which is equal to the Kabini dam inflow.

A total of only 60 percent water is available in all the four reservoirs of Cauvery basin in the state, he pointed out, adding that “We also need to provide water for agricultural activities. So, keeping in mind the deficit rains, we have requested to wait till July end.”

Also Read: POSCO case: Karnataka HC exempts BS Yediyurappa from personal appearance in court

(Disclaimer: The headline, subheads, and intro of this report along with the photos may have been reworked by South First. The rest of the content is from a syndicated feed, and has been edited for style.)

(South First is now on WhatsApp and Telegram)

Follow us