Karnataka Minister Rajanna says two attempts made to honey-trap him

Minister Rajanna said he did not lodge a complaint so far since he was busy with other programmes.

Published Mar 25, 2025 | 5:47 PMUpdated Mar 25, 2025 | 5:47 PM

Cooperation Minister KN Rajanna said he will lodge a formal complaint with Home Minister G Parameshwara on Tuesday.

Synopsis: Minister KN Rajanna said a man visited his Bengaluru residence twice, each time with a different woman. The second woman claimed she was a high court lawyer, and expressed her wish for a personal meeting.

Karnataka Cooperation Minister KN Rajanna on Tuesday, 25 March, said he will lodge a complaint with Home Minister G Parameshwara against attempts to honey-trap him.

“I had not filed a complaint because I was busy with many programmes,” the minister told a news conference in Tumakuru.

“The chief minister asked me why I had not filed a complaint till now. I told him that I would file a complaint today (Tuesday). I have written a three-page complaint, and I will submit it to Home Minister Dr G Parameshwara. After filing a complaint, an FIR will be filed. Then the documents will be made public,” he said.

Related: Minister KN Rajanna alleges honeytrap attempt on him and 48 other leaders

Two attempts

Rajanna revealed more about the incident at the news conference. He said a man had visited his Bengaluru residence twice, each time with a different woman.

“The same man brought these two women to my house. The woman who came the second time said she was a High Court lawyer. She said she wanted to speak to me personally. I can identify her if I am shown a picture. I didn’t have CCTV at my home so it was difficult to provide any video proof. I have asked the Home Minister to take action against those who tried to honey-trap me,” the 73-year-old minister said, adding that the man who brought the women was unknown to him.

Also Read: Minister Rajanna wants three deputy CMs

The allegation

Rajanna alleged in the state Assembly on 20 March that a gang had attempted to honey-trap him and 48 other MLAs across party lines. The allegation later found its echo in Parliament as well.

“It is not just me but 48 others, including central leaders, judges, and leaders across all the parties, were also victims of honeytrap attempts. Even their videos and sleaze CDs are being made, and they are being blackmailed,” he reportedly said.

The allegation led to protests by BJP MLAs, which resulted in the suspension of 18 of them.

A public interest litigation was filed in the Supreme Court by a Jharkhand resident, Binay Kumar Singh, who demanded a probe by the CBI or a special investigation team.

Singh claimed that the allegation made in the Karnataka Assembly said even judges were targeted by the gang. Minister Rajanna later denied saying judges were targeted.

Soon after the allegation was made, Parameshwara announced that he would order a high-level probe based on a written complaint by Rajanna.

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah assured an impartial probe and said action would be initiated against all those involved in the alleged attempt irrespective of party lines. The allegations came to light after BJP MLA Basanagouda Patil Yatnal pointed out that someone was attempting to honey-trap senior Congress leader Rajanna.

The allegation came even as a power struggle was on in the Congress in Karnataka.

Earlier, Ramesh Jarkiholi, a BJP leader and former minister, was embroiled in the honey-trap case in 2021. After the videos went viral, Ramesh had to resign from the ministry.

(Edited by Majnu Babu).

Follow us