Karnataka Bandh receives mixed reactions in Bengaluru; protestors demand justice for KSRTC conductor

The bandh, held from 6 am to 6 pm, protests an alleged assault on a bus conductor and calls for a ban on the Maharashtra Ekikarana Samiti, along with improved regional development

Published Mar 22, 2025 | 5:55 PMUpdated Mar 22, 2025 | 6:42 PM

Karnataka Bandh receives mixed reactions in Bengaluru; protestors demand justice for KSRTC conductor

Synopsis: The Karnataka bandh on 22 March, led by pro-Kannada groups, saw mixed participation in Bengaluru. While some areas were deserted, with fewer passengers on buses, others were unaware of the protest’s cause. Protests, including a march from Majestic to Townhall, were met with police detentions. Cinema shows were also suspended in solidarity with the bandh’s demands.

The Karnataka bandh witnessed across Bengaluru on Saturday, 22 March, got mixed responses from people across the city. Around 1,500 Pro-Kannada organisations were part of this protest led by Vatal Nagaraj, a former MLA, Kannada Chaluvali Vatal Paksha.

Addressing the media, he said, “All the districts have been part of Karnataka bandh in their own way. Though the buses are running across the state as well as Bengaluru city, there are fewer passengers.The hotels are open, but people are not even there to eat food. According to me, bandh was successful. We have placed our demands to the state government, to the people of this state and to the centre.”

He further added, “Bengaluru City Commissioner, B Dayananda, has served notice to all the pro-Kannada activists.He has taken it as a challenge to see that our bandh does not take place.”

True to this, central business district, including Kranti Veera Sangolli Rayanna Railway Station, Majestic and KSRTC bus stand, Gandhi Bazar, Chickpet, K R Market and Avenue Road wore a deserted look. Unlike normal days when at least 3,000 people flock Majestic in the peak hours between 8 am to 10 am, there were fewer passengers.

Public reaction to the Bandh

Micheal, a resident of Bengaluru, said, “The buses are running as usual, but there are no people. Actually, it is we, who should support the cause of the bandh. It was wrong that MES activists beat our KSRTC conductor. But nobody cares because you see all the BMTC buses, drivers and conductors are working like any other day.”

Chandrashekar, a KSRTC driver who drives from Bengaluru to Davanagere on a daily basis, said that their department officials didn’t mention about the bandh. “We came to work because there were no instructions from the department officials. Usually, there are 50 passengers in my bus every day but today, there were only 20 passengers.”

He criticised the act of MES activists and their behaviour towards KSRTC conductor in Belagavi. “What they did was absolutely wrong. Our officials have filed a police complaint against them. What more can be done? Such incidents keep happening in Belagavi. It is not new to us.”

Even as the pro-Kannada activists marched from Majestic towards Townhall around 11.30 am, shouting slogans, “Beke Beku Nyaya Beku”, “Dikkara, Dikkara, Sarkarakke Dikkara.” The police immediately detained them and put them into BMTC buses. An auto-driver who decorated his auto with a huge Karnataka flag, came near Townhall to be part of the protest. However, the police forced him to leave the spot, so that they don’t arrest him.

More than 1,300 police have been deployed in the city to see untoward incidents don’t take place and two water jets were also in place. B Dayanand, Police Commissioner who visited Puttanna Chetty Townhall to take a look at the situation, said, “Police has been deployed across all the strategic and important places. So far, everything has been peaceful. Nobody has been arrested but only those who were marching towards the town hall have been detained by the police.”

Public unaware of Bandh’s cause

Another sad part of this bandh, was that a lot of people hardly knew the cause behind it. Manu, who travelled from Mysuru to Bengaluru in Chamundi Express, said, “We don’t know the cause behind the bandh. But I believe we all must join hands for this. I had to come to Bengaluru because of my regular work. There are hardly any autos near the railway station today.”

Nawaz Pasha, who works as a coolie worker at the Kranti Veera Sangolli Rayanna Railway Station, said, “I don’t know the reason for this bandh. But from 6 am, I have not got a single passenger. Usually, we have 10 to 15 passengers for whom we carry luggages. All these sorts of bandh and protests are of no help to daily wagers like us.”

Also Read: DMK unites leaders from 7 states in Chennai meet

Film chamber shows solidarity

Both multiplex screens and single screens were closed on Saturday. Narasimulu, President, Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce, said, “We have expressed solidarity with the Pro Kannada outfits which called for Bandh following attack on KSRTC bus staff in Belagavi recently. Cinema shows across 500 plus screens were put off today until 6 pm.”

(Edited by Ananya Rao)

Follow us