Based on a complaint, Karnataka Governor Gehlot issued a “show cause notice” on 26 July directing the CM Siddaramaiah respond to allegations.
Published Aug 17, 2024 | 11:00 AM ⚊ Updated Aug 17, 2024 | 11:19 AM
Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah alleged illegal land and site encroachment by JD(S) patriarch and former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda's family on Friday. (Supplied)
Raising curtains to yet another battle of State government versus the Governor, Karnataka Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot on Saturday, 17 August has permitted to prosecute Chief Minister Siddaramaiah in the MUDA land allotment case following the petition filed by advocate-activist TJ Abraham, alleging irregularities.
In the MUDA ‘scam’, it is alleged that compensatory sites were allotted to Siddaramaiah’s wife Parvathi in an upmarket area in Mysuru, which had higher property value as compared to the location of her land which had been “acquired” by the MUDA.
Speaking to South First, TJ Abraham said, “Either way the case has to go to the high court, if the prosecution is given to me, they will go to the high court, if not I will go to the high court.”
Asked about the Governor’s nod for persecution, Abraham said, “I’ve been called to the Governor’s office, but have not been told the reason, as I am travelling now, I will meet the Governor soon.”
An official commune from the Governor’s secretariat read, “As directed by the Hon’ble Governor, I am enclosing herewith the copy of the decision of the Competent Authority on the request of sanction for prosecution against the Chief Minister Shri. Siddaramaiah, under section 17 of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 and section 218 of the Bharathiya Nagarika Suraksha Samhitha, 2023 for the commission of the alleged offences mentioned in the petitions.”
In a big move set to create a Governor versus Government scenario in Karnataka as well, Governor @TCGEHLOT gives permission to prosecute CM @siddaramaiah in MUDA land allotment case where activist TJ Abraham has alleged irregularities. @TheSouthfirst
— Anusha Ravi Sood (@anusharavi10) August 17, 2024
Based on a petition filed by TJ Abraham, Karnataka Governor Gehlot issued a “show cause notice” on 26 July directing the chief minister to submit his reply to the allegations against him within seven days as to why permission for prosecution should not be granted against him.
File photo of memorandum regarding the MUDA case being submitted to the governor. (Supplied)
The Karnataka government on 1 August had “strongly advised” the Governor to withdraw his “show-cause notice” to the chief minister, and alleged “gross misuse of the Constitutional Office ” of the Governor.
Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar earlier alleged, “The petitioner TJ Abraham files his petition to the Governor on 26 July. The Chief Secretary also sent a report regarding this on the same day. But the Governor has issued a show cause notice without taking into consideration the report sent by the Chief secretary. Why is the Governor acting in haste? Mere filing of a complaint is not enough, evidence is needed before proceeding with any action. But in this case, the Governor has issued a show cause notice even before any investigation is initiated.”
The MUDA had allotted plots to Parvathi under a 50:50 ratio scheme in lieu of 3.16 acres of her land, where MUDA developed a residential layout.
Under the controversial scheme, MUDA allotted 50 percent of developed land to the land losers in lieu of undeveloped land acquired from them for forming residential layouts.
BJP leaders have claimed that the MUDA “scam” is of the magnitude of ₹4,000 crore to ₹5,000 crore.
The Congress government on 14 July, constituted a single-member inquiry commission under former High Court Judge Justice PN Desai to probe the MUDA ‘scam’.
(With inputs from Nolan Patrick Pinto)