According to the police, the wife, his daughter and another family member were present at the scene during the time of the suspected murder.
Published Apr 21, 2025 | 11:46 AM ⚊ Updated Apr 21, 2025 | 9:26 PM
Om Prakash (Supplied)
Synopsis: Former Karnataka DGP Om Prakash was found dead at his residence. The police said a complaint has been filed by Om Prakash’s son and that his wife and daughter have been detained for questioning. However, no arrests have been recorded so far.
The HSR Layout Police Station in Bengaluru detained Pallavi as the prime suspect after her husband, Om Prakash(68) — the former Karnataka DGP — was found dead at their residence on Sunday, 20 April.
They have also taken his daughter, Kriti, into custody for further questioning. There were multiple stab wounds on the former DGP’s body. It is suspected that the death occurred due to a massive loss of blood.
According to the police, the wife, his daughter and another family member were present at the scene during the time of the suspected murder. The police said that a complaint has been filed by Om Prakash’s son, Karthikesh, in this regard late Sunday night. However, no arrests have been recorded so far.
Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwar termed the incident as unfortunate.
“Former DGP-IGP Om Prakash has been murdered, they say, by his wife. We cannot conclude anything until the investigation is completed and a detailed report is filed. Once we get the report, we can tell how and why it happened. In 2015, when I was the home minister for the first time, he was the DGP. He was a good man,” Parameshwara said.
He continued: “No arrests have been made so far. His wife is being questioned currently. However, we don’t know the motive behind this murder.”
The police control room had received a call on Sunday informing about the death of Om Prakash. A Hoysala patrol van rushed to the spot and found him lying in a pool of blood.
The dog squad and the Scenes of Crime Officer (SOCO) team collected crucial evidence, including a sharp weapon allegedly used during the attack. The body of Om Prakash was immediately shifted to St John’s Hospital for post-mortem. Meanwhile, the HSR Layout Police sealed his residence.
Srinivas Gowda, Inspector at the VVIP wing of the Commissioner’s office, spoke to the media and said, “I had got a call from Om Prakash at around 3.10 pm, and he did not sound sad or depressed. We exchanged greetings and spoke about each other’s wellness. Further, when I asked him if I could go to his residence to meet him, he said that it was not necessary as his wife would not like police officials visiting his home. He also promised to meet me at the office itself.”
Primary investigation revealed that Om Prakash and Pallavi did not have cordial relations, and there were continuous fights. However, the police have yet to find the motive behind the suspected murder.
In his complaint, Karthikesh said that he was informed about his father’s death by a neighbour. He said that his mother and sister were suffering from depression and used to fight with Om Prakash regularly.
(Edited by Muhammed Fazil.)