The caste census has sparked concern among some religious and political leaders, particularly regarding the population figures recorded for various communities.
Published Apr 15, 2025 | 12:10 AM ⚊ Updated Apr 15, 2025 | 12:10 AM
DK Shivakumar is a prominent Vokkaliga leader in the state
Synopsis: Karnataka DyCM DK Shivakumar has convened a meeting of Congress MLAs from the Vokkaliga community on Tuesday to discuss the contentious 2015 caste census, amid mounting political and community tensions. The report, recently presented to the Karnataka cabinet, has drawn sharp criticism from opposition leaders and members of dominant communities who allege inaccuracies and political bias.
Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar has called a meeting of Congress MLAs from the Vokkaliga community on Tuesday, 15 April, to discuss the socio-economic and educational survey (caste census) of 2015, amid a contentious debate over its findings.
“A discussion will be held with Congress party’s Vokkaliga community MLAs tomorrow on the caste census issue and opinions will be gathered,” said Shivakumar, a prominent Vokkaliga leader in the state.
“I have not seen the caste census report in its entirety, it is being studied. I have called a meeting of Congress party’s MLAs from our community tomorrow. We will discuss with them and advise them to protect everyone’s interest without hurting anyone’s feelings.”
The caste census, originally conducted during the previous tenure of the Congress government in 2015, was presented to the state cabinet on 11 April.
Its release has sparked concern among some religious and political leaders, particularly regarding the population figures recorded for various communities.
Minister for Commerce and Industries MB Patil, a prominent Lingayat leader within the Congress, also questioned the report’s accuracy.
“It is our fault that the number in the report is shown around 65 lakhs. But in reality they will be more than 1 crore. Some of them from Lingayat community have recorded their castes as Hindu Banajiga, Hindu Reddy, Hindu Sadaras to take the existing benefit of category 2A,” he said.
“These communities and the ones recorded under category 3B will be more than 1 crore.”
Senior Congress leader and President of the All-India Veerashaiva Mahasabha, Shamnur Shivashankrappa, went further, calling the report “unscientific”.
“No one from the survey team ever came to our residence to collect the data,” he added.
Addressing the concerns, Shivakumar said: “The Chief Minister [Siddaramiah] said people’s representatives will be allowed to discuss the caste census report in the assembly. What more can be done to maintain transparency?”
The state cabinet is expected to hold a dedicated meeting on 17 April to discuss the report.
Opposition parties Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Janata Dal (Secular) [JD(S)] have criticised the report and called for its withdrawal.
Leader of the Opposition R Ashoka alleged flaws in the survey’s methodology and claimed political bias.
“The report must be withdrawn and a door-to-door survey must be conducted again. Previously, Lingayats and Vokkaligas were considered as the dominant castes. Now the new report claims Muslims to be large in number. Despite subcastes among Muslims, they are not divided. Whereas subcastes among Lingayats and Vokkaligas are divided,” he said.
“They have increased the numbers of communities that vote only for Congress. They have targeted Vokkaligas, Lingayats and Dalits.”
BJP State President BY Vijayendra similarly criticised the report, calling the data outdated.
“The report is based on ten-year-old data which is outdated. Since Congress is the ruling party, let them conduct a fresh survey — do it scientifically and implement it after calling an all-party meeting. The old, unscientific report should be thrown into the dustbin,” he said.
JD(S) leader and Union Minister HD Kumaraswamy, a senior figure in the Vokkaliga community, also questioned the timing of the report’s release.
“There is no meaning to the caste census report which is now brandished. The Kantharaj Commission report was prepared in 2015. Why it is being implemented now? The government is only misleading people with this caste census report drama amidst huge price hikes, rampant corruption etc,” he said.
(Edited by Dese Gowda)