Last week, in an audio launch event of 'Thug Life', Kamal Haasan said, "Kannada is born out of Tamil."
Published Jun 02, 2025 | 11:18 PM ⚊ Updated Jun 03, 2025 | 7:47 PM
A poster of the film 'Thug Life'. (X)
Synopsis: Actor Kamal Haasan approached the Karnataka High Court seeking protection for the release of Thug Life after backlash over his remark that “Kannada is born out of Tamil.” Pro-Kannada groups demanded a boycott unless he apologizes. Haasan defended his comments, stating he would only apologize if proven wrong. The ₹300 crore film is set to release on 5 June.
Actor Kamal Haasan has approached the Karnataka High Court on Monday, 2 June, seeking directions to ensure that the screening of his upcoming film, Thug Life is not stopped in Karnataka following calls for boycott in response to his statements on Kannada.
In the petition filed through the CEO of Raaj Kamal Films International, Kamal Hassan urged the court to direct the police department, Karnataka Government and the KFCC not to obstruct the screening of Thug Life.
Thug Life is scheduled to hit the screens on 5 June. According to the producers, they have invested ₹300 crore in making this film. It is the second collaboration between director Mani Ratnam and Kamal Haasan after their first film, Nayakan in 1987.
The film also includes actors Trisha Krishnan, and TR Silambarasan in pivotal roles.
Last week, in an audio launch event of Thug Life, Kamal Haasan said, “Kannada is born out of Tamil.”
He started his speech saying, “Uyire Urave Tamizhe (My life and my family are Tamil).” Later, referring to Kannada actor Shiva Rajkumar, who was on the stage, Haasan said, “You are my family, residing in Karnataka, and hence, you came all the way here. When I started the speech, I said that my life and my family are Tamil. Your language (Kannada) was born out of Tamil, and hence you are part of it.”
Following this, the actor and his film has faced backlash in Karnataka, especially from the pro-Kannada organisations. The Karnataka Rakshana Vedike has given a stern warning to the owners of movie theatres and Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce not to screen Thug Life film until the actor issues an apology. The KFCC has also said that it would not allow the release of the film.
The petition filed read that the statements made by Kamal Haasan were selectively quoted by certain groups and individuals.
Amid the calls for apology, Kamal Haasan, on 30 May, speaking to the media, reiterated that he will apologise only if he is wrong.
“It is a democracy. I believe in the law and justice. My love for Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala is true. Nobody will suspect it except for those who have an agenda.”
“I’ve been threatened earlier too, and if I am wrong, I will apologise, if I’m not, I won’t. It’s my lifestyle, please don’t tamper with with it,” added the MNM president.
Raaj Kamal films, a production house of Actor Kamal Haasan has informed the Karnataka High Court that they would not release Thug Life film in Karnataka until they have a dialogue with the Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce (KFCC).
In a response to a query from High Court Justice M Nagaprasanna if Kamal was sticking to his ego by not asking apology, Dhyan Chinappa who represented Kamal in the court today, said, “It was not so, he (Kamal) has said that art can wait, the release can wait in Karnataka. We will not release the film in Karnataka.”
He has also requested a week’s adjournment for which the court has assigned June 10 as date of hearing. Chinappa said, “If they are willing to discuss it, we will have a dialogue with KFCC.”
After he made a controversial statement, KFCC President, Narsimhalu has said clearly that Thug Life will not be released in theatres until Kamal issues an apology.
Kamal issued an official letter to Narsimhalu saying, “It pains me that my statement at the Thug Life audio launch spoken out of genuine affection for the legendary Dr Rajkumar’s family, especially Shiva Rajkumar has been misunderstood and taken out of context. My words were intended only to convey that we are all one and from the same family and not to diminish Kannada in any way. There is no dispute or debate on the rich legacy of Kannada language.”
However, Kamal did not mention the word ‘apologise’ and the High court judge, M Nagaprasanna who took a note of it.
(Edited by Sumavarsha)