Menu

Scissors left inside Kerala woman’s abdomen is not a rare case

Dr Lalithambika said the object found was not scissors but mosquito forceps. She admitted that it should not have been left inside the patient's body.

Published Feb 20, 2026 | 1:22 PMUpdated Feb 20, 2026 | 1:22 PM

A case of suspected medical negligence has come to light after a surgical scissor was discovered inside the abdomen of a 51 year-old woman

Synopsis: Usha Josephkutty of Punnapra underwent the surgery on 10 May 2021. Since then, she had been suffering from persistent abdominal pain and blood in her urine. Last week, an X-ray taken on the advice of a urologist revealed a Metzenbaum scissor lodged inside her body.

In a suspected case of medical negligence, a surgical scissor was found inside the abdomen of a 51-year-old woman, nearly five years after she had undergone a hysterectomy at the Medical College Hospital in Alappuzha.

Usha Josephkutty of Punnapra underwent the surgery on 10 May 2021. Since then, she had been suffering from persistent abdominal pain and blood in her urine. Last week, an X-ray taken on the advice of a urologist revealed a Metzenbaum scissor lodged inside her body.

Her family members alleged that when they approached the hospital, some doctors discouraged them from making the issue public. Usha, a daily-wage worker and her labourer husband are living in a rented house.

Following the intervention of Alappuzha MP KC Venugopal, Usha was shifted to Amrita Hospital in Kochi, where a surgery to remove the scissors has been scheduled for Friday, 20 February.

The Congress leader termed the episode a ”system failure” and a ”disgrace” while Ambalapuzha MLA H Salam demanded strict action against those responsible. He asserted that such lapses cannot be justified under any circumstances.

A complaint has been lodged with the Punnapra police. Medical College Hospital Superintendent Dr A Harikumar said he was aware of the incident but that no formal complaint was received.

The superintendent said a four-member committee has been constituted to investigate how the instrument remained inside the patient despite strict surgical protocols.

The committee, led by RMO Dr Lakshmi, has Dr Sajeev Kumar, Dr Anusuya and Dr Rakhin as its members.

A preliminary review by the Principal, Superintendent and RMO has been submitted to the government.

At a press meet, hospital authorities said the surgery was performed by Dr Shajitha, who is not currently working at the hospital.

Also Read: Stray dogs, closed gate, and cardiac arrest — did system fail Bismeer?

Minister blames doctor

Health Minister Veena George said strict action will be taken against those responsible for the surgical lapse after a huge public outcry. She criticised senior gynaecologist Dr Lalithambika for ”serious lapses” and announced that a medical board has been formed.

Kerala Health Minister Veena George hospitalised with high blood pressure

Veena George, Minister for Health, Women and Child Development, Government of Kerala

An expert team will visit the Government Medical College, Alappuzha, and submit a report, which will be forwarded to the police.

”Strict legal action will be taken against those involved in medical negligence. The staff who attended the case will be suspended pending investigation” the minister said.

”Hospital records show Usha was admitted on 10 May 2021, and the surgery was done on 12 May. She was discharged on 15 May. Her son said she consulted the doctor at the latter’s residence several times.

Also Read: Beneath rubble lies Kerala’s healthcare illusion

Doctor blames system

Dr Lalithambika, who has since retired, denied performing the surgery and said she was named only because she was the then unit chief.

”I can say with 100 percent certainty that I did not conduct the surgery. The surgical register and operation notes will show who did it” she said, adding that she was then engaged in COVID-related duties.

She clarified that the object found was not scissors but mosquito forceps and admitted it should not have been left inside.

Dr. Lalithambika

Dr. Lalithambika

”According to WHO guidelines, a scrub nurse must be present in operating theatres and is responsible for counting surgical instruments before and after a procedure. However, in government hospitals, instrument counting is done by the doctor and a general nurse, as scrub nurses are not appointed.

Even if an instrument remains inside a patient for 50 years, it may not necessarily cause any health issues. What is seen in an X-ray is a magnified image; in reality, the instrument is much smaller. Also, we cannot automatically conclude that the lapse occurred during the 2021 surgery. To establish when it happened, the age and condition of the instrument must be examined. In this case, the patient had undergone previous surgeries as well.

This is a systemic failure, not the fault of any single individual” she said.

She also denied financial misconduct and said that the patient’s pain was due to a urinary stone, not because of the scissors.

Also Read: Kerala woman lives with a pair of forceps in her stomach

Not just scissors

In the first week of January, a piece of cotton gauze was found inside a woman’s abdomen in Wayanad.

Devi with her mother

Devi with her mother.

The DMO ordered an inquiry at the Government Medical College Hospital, Mananthavady, after a 21-year-old Devi complained that cotton gauze had been left inside her body during a Caesarean section.

She had delivered on 20 October and was discharged five days later. However, she reportedly returned to the hospital several times with severe abdominal pain but was sent back without a proper examination.

On 29 December, she noticed a foul smell and a piece of cotton cloth passing from her body, which her family said was surgical gauze that had not been removed after the operation. The woman later submitted a complaint to Minister OR Kelu, prompting the probe.

”I am still not fully recovered. I never imagined such a mistake could happen from the doctor’s side. I can’t believe how irresponsible they were,” Devi told South First.

Health officials said the inquiry would examine the surgery, post-operative care, and adherence to medical protocols.

Also Read: Kerala man lost vision after nasal surgery

Guide wire was left inside the chest

In August 2025, another serious case of alleged medical negligence was reported at Thiruvananthapuram General Hospital after a guide wire was found lodged in a young woman’s chest following surgery.

Sumayya

Sumayya

The issue came to light when an audio clip surfaced in which the operating doctor reportedly admitted the mistake and said it was discovered only through an X-ray.

The patient, Sumayya from Kattakkada, had undergone a thyroid surgery in March 2023.

During post-operative care, a central line was inserted to administer medicines, but the guide wire used for the procedure was not removed and remained inside her body.

Later tests at the Sree Chitra Institute in Thiruvananthapuram confirmed that the wire had attached itself to blood vessels, making surgical removal impossible.

Her family alleged the doctor knew about the error, but did not inform them.

As her condition worsened, Sumayya filed complaints with the Health Department and the Leader of Opposition VD Satheesan, seeking justice and support for treatment. Following public pressure, the District Medical Officer asked the hospital to submit a detailed report.

Five months ago, doctors attempted to remove the guide wire through surgery, but were unable to take it out. Since the procedure would now require a more complex operation, she continues to live with the guide wire inside her chest.

Harshina’s legal fight

Kerala’s first controversial case of a surgical instrument being left inside a woman’s body came to light through the ordeal of Harshina, a native of Adivaram in Kozhikode.

Harshina

Harshina

The incident occurred during her third Caesarean surgery at Kozhikode Medical College Hospital on 30 November 2017, when a pair of surgical forceps was allegedly left inside her abdomen.

The instrument was removed in September 2022, after years of suffering.

Harshina, along with her husband Ashraf and their three children, has now filed a civil suit before the Kozhikode sub-court seeking compensation of ₹1.9 crore for the physical pain, mental trauma and financial loss suffered by the family.

The petition filed through Advocate VJ Joseph named the state government, the principal of Kozhikode Medical College, IMCH superintendent Dr Vinay Chandran, Dr Rameshan, Dr Shahana, nursing officer Rahna and staff nurse Manju as respondents.

The court will further hear the case on 18 March 2026. Police had earlier registered a criminal case against a doctor and three healthcare workers under IPC Section 338 for causing grievous hurt through negligent acts.

Counting surgical instruments is vital.

Dr Arjun, an anesthesiologist and health activist, told South First that counting surgical equipment is a crucial step in every operation.

”We usually record the count before and after surgery. If anything is missing, it is generally found inside the operating theatre itself. When we tally the instruments, we always make sure nothing is left behind,” he said.

Except for metallic objects, most surgical materials cannot be detected through X-rays if they are left inside a patient’s body. Patients may feel discomfort after waking up from anaesthesia, but when they inform doctors, it is often assumed to be due to surgical wounds.

“We do not know exactly what communication happened between the doctor and the patient in this case,” he added.

Dr Arjun further pointed to a stark reality. “One doctor in an outpatient department examines 150–200 patients a day and still tries to provide quality care. Staff shortages cannot be solved by medical college authorities alone; this issue has to be addressed by the government. The real problem is the imbalance between available resources and the number of people.” he said.

(Edited by Majnu Babu).

journalist-ad