Hyderabad hospital removes 3.5cm mutton bone stuck in 66-year-old man’s food pipe

Sriramulu, a resident of Kakkireni village in Yadadri Bhuvanagiri district, faced this situation due to his inability to chew food properly, as he lacks jaw teeth.

BySumit Jha

Published May 15, 2024 | 7:00 AMUpdatedMay 15, 2024 | 4:16 PM

Hyderabad hospital removes 3.5cm mutton bone stuck in 66-year-old man’s food pipe

In a medical achievement, doctors at Hyderabad’s LB Nagar Kamineni Hospital successfully removed a mutton bone lodged in the oesophagus of a 66-year-old patient.

The bone was said to have been causing Sriramulu — a resident of the Kakkireni village in the Yadadri Bhuvanagiri district of Telangana — severe complications for over a month, including oesophageal ulcers.

He was reportedly faced with this situation due to his inability to chew food properly as he lacks jaw teeth.

He was said to have inadvertently swallowed a 3.5-cm-long bone while consuming mutton at a recent wedding reception.

Sriramulu initially experienced chest pain after a few days. He sought medical advice from local doctors, who misdiagnosed the issue as a gastric problem.

Persistent pain led him to seek further consultation at Kamineni Hospital in Narketpally, where an endoscopy revealed the bone stuck in his oesophagus.

Also Read: Woman drank water from a waterfall and swallowed a live leech

The medical intervention

The case was then referred to the LB Nagar Kamineni Hospital for specialised care, where Consultant Medical Gastroenterologist Dr Radhika Nittala and her team undertook the challenge of removing the bone using an endoscopic procedure on 4 May.

Nittala, while detailing the intricacies of the case, said, “Sriramulu’s condition was severe due to the prolonged presence of the impacted bone, which had pierced the oesophageal wall very close to the heart, causing ulcers.”

She added: “The bone’s proximity to the pericardium required meticulous handling during the endoscopic procedure to avoid further complications, such as perforation.”

The procedure was a success, and Nittala emphasised the importance of timely medical intervention in such cases.

“Had the bone not been removed in time, the ulcer would have completely pierced the oesophagus, causing perforation and necessitating major surgery. We managed to avert these risks through careful endoscopic manoeuvring during its removal,” she explained.

Following the procedure, Sriramulu was advised to follow a strict dietary regimen to facilitate recovery.

“We recommended a liquid diet initially, including coconut water, to allow the ulcers to heal. He is now relieved from pain and has progressed to eating a soft diet,” said Nittala.