Will protest if multiplexes in Bengaluru do injustice to ‘Kousalya Supraja Rama’: Director Shashank

With four big non-Kannada films releasing this week, the hit Kannada movie is likely to have lesser screenings in the multiplexes in Bengaluru.

Published Aug 08, 2023 | 5:09 PMUpdated Aug 09, 2023 | 3:06 PM

Shashank protest

The Kannada film Kousalya Supraja Rama, which was released on 28 July, opened to good response — both critically and commercially. Since then, it has been running successfully in over 80-plus cinema halls in Bengaluru city alone.

Meanwhile, with four big non-Kannada movies including Superstar Rajinikanth’s Jailer — slated for release this week, it seems an end to the successful run of Kannada films at the box office.

Jailer will witness about 900 screenings on its release date i.e., 10 August in Bengaluru theatres alone. Following this, Kousalya Supraja Rama will have mere 37 shows.

Plea to KFCC

Kousalya Supraja Rama director Shashank told South First that Jailer will have more screenings on the release date for obvious reasons. “We have no qualms about it. But our only concern is that the number of shows will be reduced to 37 from 10 August, though our film has been running successfully,” he rued.

Related: ‘Kousalya Supraja Rama’: An entertaining prescription for male ego

Plea written to KFCC

The plea written to KFCC by the makers of ‘Kousalya Supraja Rama’. (Supplied)

The film team comprising its producers, distributors and director on Monday, 7 August, wrote to the Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce (KFCC) urging it to act against the injustice being meted out to the movie by the multiplexes in Bengaluru.

In their plea to the KFCC, the makers of Kousalya Supraja Rama averred that the multiplexes did not allot enough shows to their film and were thereby doing great injustice.

“While such is the case, four big non-Kannada movies are releasing this week and there is every chance that a majority of the shows given to our film could be taken away to accommodate the former,” the makers pointed out in the plea.

However, in response to their plea, the multiplexes reportedly assured the KFCC that the Kannada film would be screened as usual in theatres where it got a good response.

Reacting to this, the director said, “We will wait till Thursday evening. If the shows allotted to our film are not restored by then, we along with pro-Kannada organisations will stage a protest.”

Related: These two Kannada films rekindle Sandalwood’s box office success

Follow us