The legal action was initiated following her controversial remarks linking actors Naga Chaitanya and Samantha's divorce with former Minister and BRS working president KTR.
Published Oct 04, 2024 | 11:50 AM ⚊ Updated Oct 04, 2024 | 11:50 AM
Acttor Nagarjuna and Telangana minister
Telugu Actor Nagarjuna on Thursday, 3 October, filed a defamation case against Telangana Minister for Forests, Konda Surekha, at the Nampally court in Hyderabad.
The legal action was initiated following her controversial remarks linking actors Naga Chaitanya and Samantha’s divorce with former Minister and BRS working president KTR.
Nagarjuna accused Congress leader Surekha of deliberately spreading lies, fully aware that they were false, with the sole aim of tarnishing his personal, professional and family reputation.
He also alleged that her statement was made with malicious intent, designed to convey falsehoods to the public at large with the objective of damaging the complainant and his family’s reputation for political gain and sensationalism. It further said the actions constitute a criminal offence.
— chaitanya akkineni (@chay_akkineni) October 3, 2024
Previously KTR too had slapped a defamation suit against the minister for the same remarks.
According to the defamation suit, “It is respectfully submitted that the complainant was shocked to see clips of the defamatory statement being widely published and circulated on various social media platforms, including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp. The statement falsely claims and misleads the public into believing that the cause of the divorce between Naga Chaitanya (the complainant’s son) and his ex-wife, Samantha, was linked to a purported illicit demand made by KT Rama Rao (KTR). Specifically, the accused has insinuated, in a derogatory manner, that KT Rama Rao requested a meeting with Samantha for inappropriate purposes, and further implied that the complainant supported these alleged interests of KT Rama Rao in exchange for not demolishing the N-Convention Centre, owned by the complainant’s family. It is alleged that the complainant and his family pressured Samantha to comply, which ultimately led to the divorce.”
The complaint further read: “It is respectfully submitted that the complainant, who is widely respected in society, has suffered disrepute and emotional distress due to the false and defamatory statements spread by the accused. Such false allegations constitute an act of criminal defamation, causing harm to both personal and professional aspects of the complainant’s life and his entire family.”
“The above actions of the accused constitute a criminal offence in the law and the accused are liable to be punished under section 356 of BNS.”
The complainant further urged, “Therefore, it is humbly prayed that the Hon’ble court maybe pleased to take cognizance of the case for offences punishable under Section 356 of B.N.S. and punish the accused as per Law in the interest of justice and in the circumstances of the case.”
Amid the backlash from the Telugu Film Industry, Konda Surekha withdrew her statements and apologised on Thursday, she said, “Yesterday, while speaking at Gandhi Bhavan, I spoke about KTR and his attitude towards women. He previously instigated me, and in response to that, overcome by emotions, I criticised KTR, and in the process spoke about a certain family.”
“I have no hard feelings and hatred towards anyone from that family, later, when I saw the tweet of the actor, I realised my mistake. I hurt them regarding the same issue, due to which I was hurt. No one should be hurt and humiliated the way I was, with the same intention, yesterday night, I unconditionally withdrew the statements.”
Addressing Samantha, Konda Surekha wrote on X: “The way you have grown in the industry with your own power is not only admirable but also inspirational.”
నా వ్యాఖ్యల ఉద్దేశం మహిళల పట్ల ఒక నాయకుడి చిన్నచూపు ధోరణిని ప్రశ్నించడమే కానీ మీ @Samanthaprabhu2 మనోభావాలను దెబ్బతీయడం కాదు.
స్వయం శక్తితో మీరు ఎదిగిన తీరు నాకు కేవలం అభిమానం మాత్రమే కాదు.. ఆదర్శం కూడా..
— Konda surekha (@iamkondasurekha) October 2, 2024
Meanwhile, the hashtag #FilmIndustryWillNotTolerate started trending on X, with many actors and directors condemning the comments.
(Edited by Sumavarsha Kandula)