Singer Sonu Nigam on Monday, took to his Instagram account to share a long note. Detailing the incident, the singer questioned "whose fault is it."
Published May 05, 2025 | 4:51 PM ⚊ Updated May 05, 2025 | 4:53 PM
Sonu Nigam. (Instagram)
Synopsis: Singer Sonu Nigam is facing non-cooperation from the Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce after remarks comparing Kannada song requests to a terror attack sparked outrage. Meanwhile, Sonu Nigam defended his love for Kannada music and culture, called for fair judgment, and said he’d accept the public’s verdict while continuing to respect Karnataka and its people.
Following the recent controversial statements made by singer Sonu Nigam, Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce has decided to not give any work opportunities to the singer until he apologizes for allegedly hurting sentiments of Kannadigas in the state.
Narasimhalu, president of KFCC, confirmed about this decision and said, “We are not going to cooperate with Singer Sonu Nigam, we will not give him any work opportunities in the industry nor we will allow him to conduct concerts in any part of the state. It is not a ban as such but it is non-cooperation from our side.”
He continued, “Sonu must apologise for the statements he has made and hurting the sentiments of crores of Kannadigas in the state.”
Last week, playback singer, Sonu Nigam had sparked a controversy by comparing the attitude of some boys in his concert, who asked him to sing Kannada songs, to that of the terrorist attack on civilians in Pahalgam. The video of the said incident has since then gone viral.
The incident took place during the concert held on 25-26 April at East Point College of Engineering and Technology in Bengaluru.
When four to five boys asked Sonu to sing a song in Kannada, the singer reacted saying, “Kannada, Kannada. This the reason or attitude behind the terrorist attack in Pahalgam.”
The move by KFCC comes a day after the singer was booked under Sections 352(1) (promoting hatred between different groups) and 352(2) (criminal defamation) of the Bharthiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS). The FIR was filed against him, despite Sonu Nigam issuing a clarification.
The complaint was filed by Karnataka Rakshana Vedike at the Avalahalli Police Station against the singer for allegedly hurting the sentiments of Kannadigas.
Singer Sonu Nigam on Monday, took to his Instagram account to share a long note. Detailing the incident, the singer questioned “whose fault is it.”
In the note, he said, “I have given unprecedented love to the language, the culture, the music, the musicians, the state and the people not just when I am in Karnataka but anywhere else in the world. In fact I have revered my Kannada songs way more than my songs in other languages including Hindi. There are 100s of videos circulating on social media as a testimony. I have more than hour of Kannada songs that I prepare for every concert when in Karnataka.”
Further speaking on the incident, he added, “However, I am not a young lad to take humiliation from anyone. I am 51 years old, in the second half of my life and am entitled to take offence for someone as young as my son threatening me directly in front of thousands in the name of language that too Kannada which is my second language when it comes to my work.”
“That too right after my first song of the concert! He provoked a few more. Their own people were embarrassed and were asking them to shut up.. I told them very politely and lovingly the show has just started, it’s my first song and that I will not let them down, but they have to let me continue with the concert the way I have planned. Every artiste has a song list prepared so the musicians and technicians are in sync. But they were hell bent on creating ruckus and threatening me wildly. Tell me who is at fault?,” Sonu Nigam questioned.
He further reasoned, “Being a patriot that I am, I loathe anyone trying to create hate in the name of language, caste or religion especially after what transpired in Pahalgam. I had to school them, and I did, and thousands of students and teachers cheered me for it. The matter got over and I sang Kannada for more than an hour. It’s all there on social media.”
“I leave it upto the sensible people of Karnataka to decide who is at fault here, I will accept your verdict gracefully, I fully respect and trust the law agencies and Police of Karnataka and will comply with whatever is expected from me. I have received divine love from Karnataka and will cherish it always with no malice whatsoever irrespective of your verdict,” he added.
(Edited by Sumavarsha, with inputs from Rashmi Patil)