YSRCP leader Gowtham Reddy said the nine devotees died due to the TDP government and Chandrababu Naidu's failure. He added that the officers were not given any instructions.
Published Apr 30, 2025 | 7:49 AM ⚊ Updated Apr 30, 2025 | 5:39 PM
CM Chandrababu Naidu reviewed the wall collapse and rescue efforts.
Synopsis: Initial reports suggested that the wall collapsed in the heavy rainfall. Several devotees were waiting in a queue to purchase tickets when the tragedy occurred.
At least nine devotees lost their lives and several others were injured after a wall collapsed at the Simhachalam Temple in Vishakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh early on Wednesday, 30 April.
They had gathered in the early hours to join the Chandana Mahotsavam celebrations and were standing in a queue to buy the ₹300 tickets when the incident occurred.
Preliminary reports suggested that heavy rainfall led to the collapse. Authorities said rescue efforts are still underway, with bodies being retrieved from the debris.
సింహాచలం అప్పన్న స్వామి చందనోత్సవం సందర్భంగా జరిగిన విషాద ఘటన – గోడ కూలి భక్తులు ప్రాణాలు కోల్పోయిన ఘటన మమ్మల్ని తీవ్రంగా కలిచివేసింది.
ఈ హృదయ విదారక ఘటనలో ప్రాణాలు కోల్పోయిన భక్తుల కుటుంబాలకు ఆంధ్రప్రదేశ్ కాంగ్రెస్ కమిటీ తరపున మా ప్రగాఢ సానుభూతిని తెలియజేస్తున్నాము. మృతుల…
— INC Andhra Pradesh (@INC_Andhra) April 30, 2025
YSRCP leader Gowtham Reddy told PTI: "Simhachalam is a devotional place where devotees have died due to the failure of TDP government as well as Chandrababu Naidu. Officers were not given any instructions. Thousands of devotees were in the queue and suddenly the wall collapsed."
Saddened by the loss of lives including those of women in a wall collapse incident in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. My thoughts and prayers are with the grieving families. May the injured recover soon.
— President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) April 30, 2025
Former Andhra Pradesh chief minister and YSRCP chief YS Jagan Mohan Reddy will visit the families of the victims of the wall collapse in Simhachalam at 3 pm on Wednesday.
Andhra Pradesh Home Minister V Anitha confirmed that the accident occurred around 2.30-3 am on Wednesday.
"Unfortunately, the devotees of Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy who came for his darshan have been victims of the wall collapse due to heavy rains. The injured have been shifted to KGH. The accident took place around 2.30-3 am, and the NDRF, SDRF, fire and police departments have immediately started the rescue operations. Since then, the collector, I and other officials have been taking part in the rescue efforts," she said.
"CM Naidu, Deputy CM Pawan Kalyan, and Minister Nara Lokesh have spoken with us over the phone. The CM has been monitoring closely the rescue efforts, and if the injured persons are being given proper treatment. CM has announced ₹25 lakh ex-gratia to the seven victims. The injured will also be given ₹ 3 lakh. Apart from this, CM also announced that an educated member from the victims' families will be given a government job. To stand with the victims, Ministers Kondapalli Srinivas, Satyaprasad and I have been posted here," she added.
BRS Working President KT Rama Rao expressed condolences.
Deeply saddened by the tragic wall collapse at Simhachalam Temple during the very pious chandanotsvam festival.
My heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceasedPraying for a speedy recovery to those injured in this very unfortunate incident
— KTR (@KTRBRS) April 30, 2025
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced an ex-gratia of ₹2 lakh for the kin of the deceased and a financial aid of ₹50,000 for the injured.
"Deeply saddened by the loss of lives due to the collapse of a wall in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones. May the injured recover soon," the prime minister said in a statement issued by his office.
"An ex-gratia of ₹2 lakh from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of each deceased. The injured would be given ₹50,000," he announced.
Speaking to the media, Home Minister V Anitha speaking to the media said that the authorities had inspected the queue lines a few days ago.
"This is an unfortunate incident. The wall was there, but we couldn't check if it was built with the support of pillars, or with cement, or with bricks. However, it had been raining heavily for the past three days. You all saw that, even when I, or the revenue minister, came for the darshan and to give the silk clothes, we were drenched in rain as it was raining heavily. I finished my darshan and came out, and got the news that the wall collapsed."
"They said one or two people were injured. Upon getting the news, I came here and have been here since. There has been no delay or negligence in rescue operations. The injured have been shifted to the hospital immediately, and the rescue operations are still underway."
"The contractors, the engineer, and all who were responsible for quality control of the wall will be inquired into. Lives have been lost, and the government is taking this seriously. We will investigate from all angles, and action will be taken against the people responsible."
At least 9 feared dead after wall collapses on devotees at Andhra Pradesh Simhachalam temple in Visakhapatnam. Rescue ops underway
Live updates: https://t.co/SwrSf9C57z pic.twitter.com/9OaFgxhJgD
— South First (@TheSouthfirst) April 30, 2025
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has ordered the constitution of a three-member committee to probe the wall collapse. He also had a teleconference with top officials and ministers.
The state government announced that the kin of the deceased people would be given compensation of ₹25 lakh each and ₹3 lakh to the injured.
Andhra Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Pawan Kalyan said he was deeply shocked to learn about the death of the devotees due to the collapse of a wall in Simhachalam.
"It is unfortunate that this tragedy took place during the Chandanotsavam. I express my deepest condolences to the families of the deceased. The state government will stand by them. I have learnt the details of this incident from the Visakhapatnam district authorities. They said that the wall collapsed due to heavy rains. I have suggested that the injured be provided with better medical treatment," he said.
Former chief minister and YSRCP President YS Jagan Mohan Reddy expressed shock over the death of devotees after a wall collapsed during the Simhadri Appanna Swamy Chandanotsavam in Visakhapatnam district.
He expressed deep sorrow over the death of devotees. He said that it is very sad that devotees who came to have the real darshan of the lord lost their lives in such a tragedy.
He urged the government to provide better medical treatment to those seriously injured in the incident and to support the families of the deceased devotees.
Andhra Pradesh Minister Nara Lokesh said that the government has instructed officials to shift the injured to private hospitals if necessary.
సింహాచలం లక్ష్మీనరసింహస్వామి ఆలయం వద్ద జరిగిన దుర్ఘటన నన్ను తీవ్ర ఆవేదనకు గురిచేసింది. ఈ ఘటనలో గాయపడిన వారికి విశాఖ కేజీ హెచ్ ఆసుపత్రిలో చికిత్స జరుగుతోంది. బాధితులకు మెరుగైన చికిత్స కోసం అవసరమైతే ప్రైవేటు ఆసుపత్రులకు తరలించాల్సిందిగా యంత్రాంగాన్ని ఆదేశించాం. పోలీసులు, ఎస్డీఆర్…
— Lokesh Nara (@naralokesh) April 30, 2025
Authorities said the injured have been shifted to the King George Hospital in Visakhapatnam.
Telangana Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy expressed condolences following the wall collapse that killed at least nine.
ఆంధ్ర ప్రదేశ్ లోని
సింహాచలం ఆలయం వద్ద గోడ కూలి
భక్తులు మరణించిన ఘటన
తీవ్ర ఆవేదనను కలిగించింది.వారి కుటుంబ సభ్యులకు
నా ప్రగాఢ సానుభూతిని తెలియజేస్తూ…
మృతుల ఆత్మలకు శాంతి చేకూరాలని…
భగవంతుడిని ప్రార్థిస్తున్నాను.— Revanth Reddy (@revanth_anumula) April 30, 2025
Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu expressed condolences and said he has ordered treatment for the injured.
శ్రీ వరాహ లక్ష్మీనరసింహ స్వామి చందనోత్సవంలో గోడ కూలి ఏడుగురు భక్తులు మృతి చెందడం నన్ను కలచి వేసింది. భారీ వర్షాల కారణంగా గోడ కూలడం తో జరిగిన ఈ ఘటనలో మరణించిన వారి కుటుంబాలకు నా ప్రగాఢ సానుభూతి. అక్కడి పరిస్థితి పై జిల్లా కలెక్టర్, ఎస్పీ తో మాట్లాడాను. గాయపడిన వారికి చికిత్స…
— N Chandrababu Naidu (@ncbn) April 30, 2025
Home Minister Anitha visited the site of the wall collapse in Simhachalam and reviewed the situation, and is supervising the rescue operations.
NDRF and SDRF are making arrangements for the evacuation of the injured to the hospital, along with the police and the Fire and Rescue Department personnel.
The home minister, District Collector and Police Commissioner are closely monitoring the rescue operations at the site of the incident.
Rescue efforts are still underway, with bodies being retrieved from the debris.