Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu announced compensation and jobs for the bereaved families and financial aid for those injured in the tragedy.
Published Jan 09, 2025 | 7:53 PM ⚊ Updated Jan 09, 2025 | 9:26 PM
Tirupati stampede : Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation and reforms
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu announced an ex gratia of ₹25 lakh each to the families of six people, including five women, killed in a stampede in Tirupati.
Addressing the media on Thursday, 9 January, Naidu vowed to initiate measures to prevent such incidents in the future.
More than 40 devotees were injured in the stampede that occurred at the token counters in Tirupati on Wednesday, 8 January.
Besides the ex gratia of ₹25 lakh, one member from each of the families would be offered a contract job at the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD), which manages the temple and its affairs.
Chief Minister Naidu addresses press conference
For the injured, the chief minister announced a financial aid of ₹2 lakh. Two of the grievously injured will be provided ₹5 lakh each.
Naidu emphasised that the tragedy should not have occurred, particularly in the divine presence of Lord Venkateshwara.
Naidu expressed his sorrow over the incident, stating, “This is an incident that should not have happened in the presence of God. We are working to protect the sanctity of Tirumala.”
He pointed out that the decision to increase the Vaikunta Dwara Darshan duration to 10 days, although previously implemented, had contributed to overcrowding, and questioned who had asked for the change.
“Don’t bring disrepute to God with ill-considered decisions,” Naidu remarked, making it clear that there would be no politics in the service of the Lord.
He also took the opportunity to address the security measures at the temple complex, asserting that despite the existing arrangements, additional security would be implemented moving forward.
The chief minister announced a judicial inquiry into the stampede. “A thorough judicial inquiry will be conducted, and the report will be submitted to me,” he said, adding that no one would be blamed until the facts were properly ascertained.
Naidu also confirmed that certain officials would face disciplinary action. “SP Subbarayudu and JEO Gauthami are being transferred. DSP Ramanakumar, along with Goshala Director Harinath Reddy, will be suspended for their irresponsible handling of the situation,” he stated.
He blamed some officials for acting negligently, leading to the tragedy.
As part of the government’s response, Naidu confirmed that all those injured in the stampede would be given free darshan at the temple the following day.
Additionally, the Andhra Pradesh government will take responsibility for transporting the injured victims back to their hometowns.
Naidu also emphasised that the state would ensure that the families of the victims and those injured were provided with the best possible care. “We will make sure they receive the treatment they need and will personally oversee this process,” he added.
The chief minister concluded by stressing the need for better coordination between the civil administration in Tirupati and the TTD administration in Tirumala.
“We will put in place a new mechanism to ensure better coordination between these bodies. Our aim is to preserve the sanctity of the shrine while ensuring the safety and well-being of the devotees,” he said.
Naidu also reiterated that efforts would be made to revive best practices from the past to prevent similar incidents. “We will implement comprehensive safety measures and revive all the best practices we’ve had in the past to ensure that this kind of tragedy never happens again.”
Deputy Chief Minister K Pawan Kalyan acknowledged the government’s responsibility in the stampede, emphasising the need for a thorough investigation.
He raised concerns about the possibility of the incident being intentional, stating, “There are doubts surrounding the stampede. Some believe it may have been planned. This angle must also be thoroughly examined as part of the investigation.”
Pawan Kalyan called for an overhaul of the TTD (Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams) and stressed that the focus should shift from VIPs to ordinary devotees in the darshan of Lord Tirumala Venkateswara.
He said, “The mistakes made by some individuals have tarnished the government’s reputation. The growing focus on VIPs in temples needs to change. We must prioritise the needs of common devotees, as such incidents can be prevented by ensuring their safety.”
Addressing the stampede, he insisted on a detailed inquiry and stated that the police should be held accountable for lapses in crowd management.
“The police department needs to reassess its approach. I am holding this press conference to emphasise that the police failed in managing the crowd effectively. Some officers are acting irresponsibly, and this must be addressed.”
Furthermore, the deputy chief minister placed responsibility on TTD officials, particularly TTD Executive Officer J Shyamala Rao and Joint Executive Officer CH Venkaiah Chowdhury, for the incident. “They too should be held accountable for the mismanagement that led to this tragedy,” he concluded.
(Compiled by Ananya Rao)