Andhra Pradesh train accident: 8 dead, 32 injured in Vizianagaram crash; PM, Andhra CM announce solatium

One train rammed another from the rear while it was waiting for signal clearance at Kantalapalli in Vizianagaram around 7 pm on Sunday.

Published Oct 29, 2023 | 9:48 PMUpdated Oct 29, 2023 | 11:37 PM

One of the derailed compartments in the Vizianagaram district of Andhra Pradesh on 29 October, 2023.

At least eight people died and 32 were injured when a train rammed another from the rear while it was waiting for signal clearance at Kantalapalli on the Howrah-Chennai line in the Vizianagaram district of Andhra Pradesh at about 7 pm on Sunday, 29 October, according to a statement from the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister’s Office (CMO).

Earlier, an official statement attributed to Vizianagaram Superintendent of Police M Deepika said: “As of now, six have been confirmed dead and 18 injured [have been] shifted to hospital for treatment.”

The mishap reportedly occurred when the 08504 Visakhapatnam-Rayagada Passenger rammed the 08532 Visakhapatnam-Palasa Passenger, which was waiting for signal clearance.

The injured were immediately shifted to a hospital in Vizianagaram for treatment.

Personnel from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Revenue Department, and the police reached the accident spot and were said to be helping the victims out of the train and taking them to the hospital.

Three bogies derailed, according to sources. As it was a rear-end collision, the distal and proximal parts of the two trains jackknifed upwards and lay suspended at a grotesque angle.

As the bogies were thrown around, the powerlines also snapped, plunging the area into pitch darkness, which was impeding the progress of the relief works.

Odisha train accident: CBI charge sheet against 3 rail officials

Rescue efforts

Andhra Pradesh Health Department sources told reporters that a total of 18 ambulances from the Anakapalli, Visakhapatnam, and Vizianagaram districts had been assigned to the rescue efforts.

They added that efforts were also being made to pool 10 more from the Srikakulam and Manyam districts.

At least 40 injured had been transported to hospitals, they said, adding that rescue operations were slow because of access issues.

The sources also said that the death toll from the accident could increase because three compartments were badly damaged.

The AP CMO, in a late-night bulletin, one NDRF and two State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) teams had reached the location, while another NDRF team from RRC Visakhapatnam and an SDRF team from Kakinada BN were en route.

The CMO quoted the district revenue officer as saying that the injured persons had been admitted to the Tirumala Hospital and NRI Hospital in the town of Vizianagaram.

It added that some other injured individuals were also admitted to the MIMS Hospital in Nellimarla in the Vizianagaram district.

Compensation for injured, deceased

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced an ex gratia of ₹2 lakh for the deceased in the accident, and ₹50,000 for the injured.

However, Vaishnaw later said that ₹10 lakh would be given to the kin of the deceased, ₹2 lakh would be given to those with grievous injuries, and ₹50,000 to those with minor injuries.

Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy instructed officials to pay an ex gratia of ₹10 lakh each to the kin of the deceased and ₹2 lakh each to the injured from the state.

He also announced a compensation of ₹2 lakh each to the kin of the deceased and ₹50,000 each to the injured from other states.

Authorities in action

Earlier, Jagan expressed deep shock and ordered officials to take quick relief measures and ensure prompt medical services.

He asked the officials to send as many ambulances as possible from the nearby districts of Visakhapatnam and Anakapalli.

He wanted all arrangements to be made to provide medical treatment in the nearby hospitals. The details of the incident should be reported to him, he said.

He later noted that Union Minister of Railways Ashwini Vaishnaw telephoned him about the accident.

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) said on X (formerly Twitter) that Modi had spoken to Vaishnaw.

It said Modi “took stock of the situation in the wake of the unfortunate train derailment between Alamanda and Kantakapalle section”.

The PMO added: “Authorities are providing all possible assistance to those affected. The prime minister extends condolences to the bereaved families and prays that the injured recover soon.”

Meanwhile, Vaishnaw was quoted by ANI as saying that rescue operations were underway, and that all had been rescued.

He also said that Modi had reviewed the situation. Vaishnaw added that he had spoken to the Jagan.

“The situation is currently under control,” he said.

Helplines

Meanwhile, the East Coast Railway used its official handle on X (formerly Twitter) to give out details of the helpline numbers for those needing assistance with regard to the accident.

Indian Railways also provided helpline numbers.

https://twitter.com/RailMinIndia/status/1718659978230157663

More helpline numbers emerged as the railway authorities sprang into action.

More helpline numbers:

Eluru- 0881-2232267
Samalkot- 0884-2327010
Rajahmundry -08832420541
Tuni- 08854-252172

Meanwhile, the Railways has also announced with trains would be affected in what way due to the accident.

(With PTI inputs)

Follow us